• Clockers to get new master

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Mark Schweber

The Star Ledger weighs in in an editorial:
Good move for NJ Transit
Thursday, May 06, 2004
NJ Transit is looking to take over Amtrak's "Clocker" trains, which run during rush hours between Philadelphia and New York. The deal could be a win for everyone, giving riders cheaper, more reliable service, saving NJ Transit money and freeing up badly needed equipment for Amtrak's other trains.

One big question remains before the transfer, now scheduled for 2006 or so. NJ Transit has not decided whether it will continue running Clockers all the way to Philadelphia or have them start and end their runs in Trenton. Shorter service might save NJ Transit a few dollars, but it would be a mistake.

New Jersey's goal should be to maximize mass transit opportunities in the entire region. That will help keep traffic off our highways and cut pollution in our air.
http://www.nj.com/opinion/ledger/editor ... 107050.xml

by GandyDancer

PA has been "showing the money", especially when it comes to the TEA-21 matching funds; NJ has not, i.e. when it comes to the Cutoff.
Irish, I was referring to THE PA - aka the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. I'd be looking for a nominal contribution from both SEPTA and the PA for supporting the Clockers. And I would have no problem if the Clockers made more stops between 30th St. and Trenton to supplant any decrease in R7 frequency during rush hours. I still think SEPTA would try to wimp out.

by JLo

Forget SEPTA. They have a $70 million budget deficit, have cut service on some lines and want to spend billions to start the new Metro service. Not much hope in getting money from them.

by NJTrider

If you don't mind me asking, what crews run the Clockers right now? I see them with NJT engines but Amtrak cars. Are the engineers Amtrak employees trained on ALP46s?

And the final move to NJT takes place, what will happen to the Amtrak crews?

by theeagle2015

Amtrak crews now. Will these crews be reassigned afterwards?

Also, maybe someone can answer another question. Why is Amtrak dragging their feet in allowing NJT to operate the C5's at 100 mph? I remember that Amtrak also restricted the ALP 46's to 90 mph until May 2003 (shortly before they started operating these to pull the Clockers).

by TR-00

After the take over, the clockers will be operated by NJT crews, based out of Morrisville.

by tantg

Hi, if NJT chose to start these services from Trenton, what would stop AMTRAK from just adding a car or two to some Regionals and stopping these at North Philladelphia and Cornwell Heights stations instead.
Glenn
  by path18951

If NJT went to Philadelphia with the clockers, would they pick up the stops at Cornwells Heights and North Philadelphia?

Also, would they only run three round trips to Philadelphia or would there be a fourth. Presently, Amtrak runs three true clockers each rush hour, but NJ Transit multi-ride tickets are also valid on Keystone Service trains 640 and 653. Would NJ Transit run a fourth clocker to meet the needs of these riders. Obvisly, if NJT does not go to Philadelphia, there would be no need for the fourth clocker at all.

NJ Transit does have a benefit of NJ riders and residents by going to Philadelphia: Connecting the Atlantic City Rail Line to the rest of the system. I realise that this will only benefit a small margin, but it is a good "excuse" as it does serve to benefit NJ residents and riders
  by Butlershops

path18951 wrote:NJ Transit does have a benefit of NJ riders and residents by going to Philadelphia: Connecting the Atlantic City Rail Line to the rest of the system. I realise that this will only benefit a small margin, but it is a good "excuse" as it does serve to benefit NJ residents and riders
This is going to be a hard sell to riders on the Pascack Valley Line, Montclair Line (west of Montclair), Main/Bergen (service every 2 hours on weekdays), Raritan Line west of Raritan, and prospective passengers on the MOM and NYSW lines.

If Pennsylvania wanted NJT trains in their state thay could have coughed up some money for a Morrisville passenger station, buit it is my understanding they refused.
  by Silverliner II

Call me cynical, but if history is any indication, Pennsylvania won't lift a finger to fund a share of NJT's operating expenses for the Clockers to Philly. Add SEPTA's never-ending money woes, and forget it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm betting that the Clockers will simply become three more pairs of Trenton-New York expresses when all is said and done. And it's a shame, considering all the Pennsylvania plates I see on cars at Trenton and Hamilton station parking lots...