• Clinton, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MrB

I've visited the Clinton area many times and wonder why the need for so many tracks both North-South & East-West at the old station. The bridges associated with each line show at least 5 tracks crossing over them, but as you follow along the ROW it shows that it quickly drops down to perhaps 2 tracks. I haven't been able to find any old photos of that area in Clinton during its' heyday as I'll call it, but it must have been very busy at its' peak. It looks like there may have been a good amount of business utilizing rail on the North-South line, with less East-West. When did all the rail business dry up, I remember back in the late 80's there were still 2 tracks North-South, but I believe they pulled one of the tracks in the mid-to-late 90's?? Is there still any business in Clinton that still uses rail?
  by pharmerphil54

Both lines were once heavy freight routes. The lower line was the B&M's Worcester branch while the upper track was the New Haven's Fitchburg line,now operated by CSXT. At one time there was a great deal of interchange between the two lines as well as a large number of local industries . Today CSX has only a single customer in Clinton, a large scrap dealer down on the old Lancaster Mills Br. I don't know if 'Pan-Am' has any.

by MrB

I've been thru the Clinton area off and on for the past 15 yrs or so, and in that time the only changes that I've seen near the station was the removal of the second track on the Guilford line. How long ago were the cutbacks in service, 30's, 40's 50's or even more recent? I've searched high and low for any photos of the area and with the exception of one photo possibly from the 30's or 40's of the station area they just do not exist at least not online.

by NellsChoo

Is there anything at the site of the old engine house? Or is it all long gone? Also, where in town was it located?

by ewh

The B&M engine house was located behind the MacDonald's on Route 12, north of the town. I think it was completely levelled. The are many good B&M photos of Clinton in the reissued book on the Central Massachusetts RR (my edition is 1976; not sure about the reprint.) Service on Guilford certainly increased during the 1990's when the west end deteriorated; now service is more limited as the west end thrives. Service on the CSX is way down. The NH/PennCentral/Conrail had M-F locals from Framingham to Fitchburg with interchange with the B&M there. [Actually PennCentral ran a daily local and a night thru freight in the mid-1970's.]I'm not sure what interchanged in Clinton. Conrail quit interchanging in Fitchburg around 1980 and abandoned the right of way north of the Leominster yard. A M-F local leaves Framingham, but only makes it out to Clinton a couple times per week; most of the time the local doesn't go past the Marlboro Industrial Park. Some of the tracks north of Leominster are still in place, while other stretches are long gone, including the once famous right of way thru the Leominster city park.

by zz4

Nothing productive to add but I went to school in Clinton area late 1960's and at least the B&M had long freights and 2 shiney (sp?) tracks at least on line into-out of Clinton.

I recall seeing MANY de-railments in the area. The population must have gotten scared as one would see 'freight' cars sitting on peoples houses,etc. along the row.

Maybe a classic view of the period hauling material from many railroads on verge of bankruptcy.

Otherwise I read here but little to post anymore. Future of railroads? Obsolete? A few lines left between major cities?

They still value 'steel rail' in metro area for transportation. (people)

Otherwise if there is nothing to haul? I'm now chewing on a box of onion crackers. Says..product of Oman..(new one)

My qualifications? :::::::::::::::::::::::::: used to unload freight cars in North Brookfield,Ma....... guess thats now CSX...