Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Liquidcamphor

I just want to personally welcome Clemuel back to this forum! Now we have another railroader who has been around for quite awhile and can contribute some pretty interesting facts and information to this group.

"Pull Clemuel, Pull!!!!

by Clemuel

Thanks, Liquid...

Gee, I'm honored to be welcomed back by none other than Liquid Camphor himself... He's quite a legend out there on the Long Island, an real expert on the Standard Code, if I must say so myself..

Let's see if anyone can tell us what Liquid Camphor was used for in the early part of the 20th Century....

Clem

by Dave Keller

It was used on cold sores before the days of "camphor ice" and "campho-phenique? :wink:

Dave Keller

by Clemuel

Lets not forget that it wan an important ingredient in a potion served in such noterious Downtown establishments as the "Billy Goat, " where a putrid mass of alcoholics and reprobates would emass at dawn for the 2 for 5 cent drinks of "the concotion".

Other ingrediants included stale beer, warm rum, and cocane sweepings.

This was back perhaps in 1908?

Clem

by Dave Keller

With all those fine ingredients, they didn't call that home-made swill "rotgut' for nothing!

As a contrast, refer to the embalming qualities mentioned earlier! :wink:

Dave Keller

by Paul

Lets not forget that it wan an important ingredient in a potion served in such noterious Downtown establishments as the "Billy Goat, " where a putrid mass of alcoholics and reprobates would emass at dawn for the 2 for 5 cent drinks of "the concotion".

Other ingrediants included stale beer, warm rum, and cocane sweepings.

This was back perhaps in 1908?

Clem

I'll drink to that!

by Dave Keller

Hey Clem:

What were your years of LIRR service?

What position(s) did you hold during those years?

Did you know Jeff Skinner? He was a very dear friend of mine when I was a teenager and young man.

Dave Keller

by Clemuel

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the note. I really have to be quite discrete. The Railroad frowns on this speaking out of school stuff, so I'll leave it at that until I can get a chance to email you privately. I've had several positions over a few decades.

Yes, I knew Jeff fairly well -- it might serve to say that we ran in some of the same circles though he was MUCH older than I. Nice guy. Those were good times of railfaning and sharing stories whith men who were around from another age.

Now I'm the guy from another age. Geez --

Clem