Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by R3toNEC

Are there stair's out of the Clark Street 2/3 station or just the elevator? I was in this station for the first time today and was confused seeing just elevators.

by Love Train

Elevators ONLY, unfortunately...I might be a little scared entering/exiting that station. I am not normally scared of elevators, but I used to be, and riding a dirty, dodgy, slow, unreliable elevator (don't deny it; MTA elevators are all of the above) might bring that fear back up to the surface. If I'm ever near that area, I might take the train an extra stop and get off at Borough Hall. Or I might transfer to the (A) or (C) and get off at High St.
  by Allan

capuzfu wrote:Are there stair's out of the Clark Street 2/3 station or just the elevator? I was in this station for the first time today and was confused seeing just elevators.
There is a service staircase located between the elevator at the left and the one in the middle. It is behind a door so if you didn't realize what was there you would miss it. It is not intended for passenger use except in an emergency.

by GP38

I used to regularly use that station back around 1989. If I wasn't scared to use that elevator in that era, there should be nothing to be scared about in using it now....

Thank goodness the M ran middays back then though, as I used to transfer from the 2/3 at Fulton Street back then, and it would have been a nightmare to have to take the J only to get off again to take the M, but the M not terminating at at least Broad St is another story.

by alchemist

Got off there once when the elevators were out of service. It was a long climb up on a square staircase - up 20 steps, turn 90 degrees, up 20 more steps, etc. :(

by Love Train

alchemist wrote:Got off there once when the elevators were out of service. It was a long climb up on a square staircase - up 20 steps, turn 90 degrees, up 20 more steps, etc. :(
Heh...why am I not surprised? MTA elevators are a death sentence. Well, not really, but the TA has so much trouble taking care of them. They are all old, dirty, dodgy, and often broken. Which is funny, because other businesses and companies don't have that problem.

by protrain

I usually find elevators at the stations where they serve all passengers (i.e. where elevators are the only or primary entry/exit method) to be in much better condition - faster, larger, and at least sometimes smelling ok.

The stations with elevators as primary access:
Clark Street (2/3)
Court Street (M/R) - Montague St/Clinton St entrance only
168th Street (1)
181st Street (1)
191st Street (1)
190th Street (A)
Am I missing any?

by pennsy

Hi All,

Had an old girlfriend living on Pierpont st. Brooklyn Heights. A very ritzy section of town. The girl was not hurting for the green stuff. Got to her place by getting off at the Clark st. station and taking the elevator up. It was the first elevator I ever rode in that warned you to be wary of Pickpockets. Made you feel rather secure and comfy. Never did have to look for that staircase.