• Circus train and MBTA in Providence RI?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

This past weekend my brother drove down to a zoo in RI. He said on his way down, in Providence, he saw a station with what sounds like a circus train there. He also described tank cars (he had no clue what they were!). He also saw MBTA double-decker coaches.

Soooo, I have a double-ended question. First, is the circus in town, and will they be up in MA soon? And why are there MBTA coaches in RI? I didn't think they went down there anymore. Maybe they were en route to Boston?

And where was he seeing all this?

JD

by dcm74

The Red Unit of the Ringling circus train left Providence late Sunday PM/early Monday AM. They came up the Providence & Worcester to Worcester where I saw them Monday morning at 6:45AM. They were waiting to get on CSX to get to Springfield, MA, where they will be until Sunday the 14th.
  by blink55184

NellsChoo wrote:
And why are there MBTA coaches in RI? I didn't think they went down there anymore. Maybe they were en route to Boston?
MBTA commuter rail goes to Providence on weekdays

by CSX Conductor

Nells, the Blue Unit will be in Worcester next week, I believe. Go to Ringling's web-site for shows.

As for Kawaski's, they are allowed to PVD Station, but no further west.

Tank cars could have been along I95 in Pawtucket on North side of the highway, east of Amtrak's MofWay base, or on South side of highway near the Port of Providence....either way they were handled by the P&W. :wink:

by NellsChoo

I didn't realize the MBTA still went to RI! Looks like the circus comes to Boston in Oct... should try and remember that...

by CSX Conductor

Remember Nells, as I said the circus will be coming to Worcester this month. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

Actually I just checked their web-site. May 10th to 14th in Springfield. Starts at Worcester on the 17th. I would be willing to bet the train will be called sometime on the 15th out of West Springfield. :wink:

by NellsChoo

I need to remember the Boston dates because I am more likely to be able to spot that trip. I have never railfanned Worcester or Springfield. Well, we took the Tripod Tour on the P&W out of Worcester, but that doesn't count ;-)

by blink55184

My mother mentioned she got free tickets next week to the circus in Hartford- guess its heading down the rail as well
  by pw3901

CSX Conductor wrote:Nells, the Blue Unit will be in Worcester next week, I believe. Go to Ringling's web-site for shows.

As for Kawaski's, they are allowed to PVD Station, but no further west.

Tank cars could have been along I95 in Pawtucket on North side of the highway, east of Amtrak's MofWay base, or on South side of highway near the Port of Providence....either way they were handled by the P&W. :wink:
Hello All, The P&W Hauled The "Blue Unit" Circus Train Out Of Providence,RI. On 5-8. The "Red Unit" Comes To Worcester Next Week. The Blue Unit is Now In Hartford,CT. Join The P&W List On Yahoogroups.......!!! <HB> <V.F.P.T.>

by CSX Conductor

NellsChoo wrote:I have never railfanned Worcester or Springfield.
But you have been to Palmer, right Nells? That may be one of the best places to try to git shots of it.

by NellsChoo

I am geographically challenged... :(
Took me all these years to figure out which highways go which directions... sort of...
  by tomytuna

Helllo all..new to this site..anyway..had trip bos to atlantic city last week via Amtrak via phl and back..during layover in Phl had nice long discussion with amtrak boss who told me T is in process of expanding route all the way to Providece's GREEN airport...so i guess Providence will not be end of line for that leg of T service....
As to Circus train..thanks for the info as i saw it in yard outside Providence and did not know how or why..so thanks to all...Tom

by dcm74

The Blue Unit of the Ringling Brothers train should be arriving in Worcester some time today (Monday) or possibly has already arrived.
Last visit they parked it in the P&W yard so it's not really visible from public property.