• Cincy - Indy - Kankakee Line Tower questions

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by frankgaron2

Hi All:

Just in case you're not aware of it already, my friend Dan has posted some excellent Tower photos over at http://northamericaninterlockings.com/indiana_10.html.

He's included shots of some of the towers on this line, like King, Wade, Brow, Vine, Beech Grove, Belt Crossing, IJ, KD, Brant, Glenn, Clarks Hill, Altamont, Lafayette Junction and Templeton.

As this is one of my favorite NYC lines to learn about, I have a few questions I'm hoping somebody here can answer:

1. Valley Junction & Lawrenceburg Junction - anybody know if a) these two were definitely "Towers" versus machines in depots, and b) anybody have pics they can post?

2. Greensburg, Adams, Saint Paul and Clifty are all listed as train order offices w/Operators in my employee tt. Anybody know if any of these were actual Towers, versus machines in depots, etc???

3. Ditto for Dix, IN, which is 9 miles east of Beech Grove?

4. Anybody know when Glenn Tower would have closed?

5. Hazelrigg, Colfax, Rex, Swanington and Fowler are all listed as train order offices w/Operators in my employee tt. Anybody know if any of these were actual Towers, versus machines in depots, etc???

6. Ditto for the following locations in IL: Earl Park, Raub, Sheldon, Iroquis, Donovan, Beaverville, Saint Anne, Aroma Park and Court Street, Kankakee? Towers or what?

7. Anybody have abandonment dates for the sections that have been ripped up Indy - Lafayette Junction? I know I took some pics around Clarks Hill in the late 1980's/early 1990's. I'll have to check my slides to be sure, but it seems like the track in that area was being ripped up during that time period?

8. How much freight did Penn Central run on the line in the latter days? Did road freights as such make it into the early Conrail era?

9. Anybody know what the original depot/or tower looked like in Fowler? I'm guessing that ugly sheet metal building is a replacement structure.

Thanks for any and all help here, and be sure to visit http://northamericaninterlockings.com. Dan is well on his way to having THE best Tower site I've seen.

Frank
  by NYC_Dave

The North American Interlockings is a great site. Thanks for the link! Sorry I can't help with your questions.