• Chicago Union Station Lockers?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by scoostraw

I'm going to have quite a bit of time to kill at CHI, so my plan is to go somewhere and do something. To do this, I'll need to stash my bags someplace. It looks like the storage lockers have a 3-hour limit (@ $4 per hour!).

I'm going to need 5 or 6 hours. Is there another option for coach passengers?
  by jamesinclair

I have no experience in Chicago, but when I had to do something similar in NYC, I did a google search. Supposedly, some hotels offer baggage check for a fee, and NYC had one or two businesses dedicated to baggage storage (with security theater xrays included)

I would suggest doing a similar google search for chicago. You probably wont find any real baggage storage websites, but youll be directed to travel forums with people offering advice. Thousands of people find themselves with the same issue every day.
  by MACTRAXX

SS: Try Amtrak Baggage check at CUS-with an Amtrak ticket if you choose you may check your baggage to your
destination or they can handle it for the time required until your connecting train...

Another thing to remember if you check bags in they must be closeable-I once had things I was carrying in a canvas tote bag that they rejected on a past trip that I ended up being stuck with...luckily I had no problems and the transfer/layover was short...
That is not a problem obviously for check lockers...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by EricL

The checked baggage at CUS is managed by Amtrak baggage handlers, but the public lockers are managed by Smarte Carte employees. Occasionally, said employees are found across the hall, in and out of a room labeled "Oversize Baggage Storage". You never know - maybe if you slip the Smarte Carte guy a few bucks, he'll let you put your stuff away in that room. It's the same guy that's there just about every day, so I have a hard time believing he hasn't received such solicitations before.

This is probably not the greatest idea in the world, but when all else fails...
  by railbuck

I've used those lockers before for more than 3 hours. www.chicagounionstation.com/lockers.html says $3/hr and $9 daily maximum for a large locker; $4/hr and $12 daily maximum for a jumbo. This does not mean a 3-hour limit, but rather that anything over 3 hours is charged at the daily rate.
  by scoostraw

Hey guys. I appreciate the replies. Some good ideas there for sure. But railbuck, you nailed it. Even I misunderstood the website to infer there was a 3-hour limit. I guess I have no worries now. Thanks again.
  by bratkinson

Although I was booked in sleeper to and from Chicago a month ago, I chose to put my bags in a locker rather than "checked" in the first class lounge. I considered peace of mind for my valuables over price as I walked around downtown Chicago for a couple of hours with a camera taking pictures.

To my dismay, the lockers are only in the baggage-claim area, which is glass-walled on 2 sides with only one door, as I recall.

The real trick, however, was trying to figure out how to make the lockers work! Just figuring out it was necessary to use the computer screen BEFORE selecting a locker and then getting it to function was a real trick in itself! Have a lot of singles handy! It requires an up-front payment of one hours-worth of storage and will collect the rest when you return. Also...it takes your fingerprint so it can verify you really ARE the owner of that locker when it comes time to claim your bags. Remember if you use your right finger or left.

I didn't see the Smarte-Carte employee in the area when I went to store my stuff, but I did see him when I came back about 2 hours later.
  by raytylicki

Check you bag at the nearest hotel and tip the bell hop well. You dont have to stay there.
  by scoostraw

There are lockers also in the Amtrak south departure waiting area. At least there were when I last travelled (in February).

Thanks for the tips on how to access and operate them. Sounds like this outfit could use a consultant to make their website and the lockers themselves more user-friendly.