• Chester...Safe For Railfanning???

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

Although Chester for the most part is a high-crime city, I've been wanting to do some "trackside railfanning" along the NEC, especially in the "downtown" area around the Chester Transportation Center during the evening rush hour, when I would most likely catch the most SEPTA (and Amtrak) action. Most of my photos and videos would be shot from the street around the station, as well as a block or so south of the station, where the line runs on a steel viaduct, eventually crossing Chester Creek, and the area around Morton Ave., where it runs on a stone viaduct. I often refer to the NEC through Chester as "Chester's El", since it runs elevated through most of the city, with the exception of the area around Lamokin Street. Anyway, would I be safe taking pictures and videos in the areas mentioned??? Thanks.
  by rbreslow

SubwayTim wrote:Although Chester for the most part is a high-crime city, I've been wanting to do some "trackside railfanning" along the NEC, especially in the "downtown" area around the Chester Transportation Center during the evening rush hour, when I would most likely catch the most SEPTA (and Amtrak) action. Most of my photos and videos would be shot from the street around the station, as well as a block or so south of the station, where the line runs on a steel viaduct, eventually crossing Chester Creek, and the area around Morton Ave., where it runs on a stone viaduct. I often refer to the NEC through Chester as "Chester's El", since it runs elevated through most of the city, with the exception of the area around Lamokin Street. Anyway, would I be safe taking pictures and videos in the areas mentioned??? Thanks.
Not a lot of places besides overpass, stations and actually at Balwin Tower site of the old Baldwin station you can get good pics of the fenced of underpass and ruins of the station.
  by nomis

In the style of chuchubob,: Baldwin Tower.

Edit: the pic is mine, the post style is bob's ...
Last edited by nomis on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Roadgeek Adam

You're safe anywhere honestly. There is some hype around most cities to would some person just randomly come at you with a gun, knife, whatever. It's only unsafe if you make it unsafe. Now personally, I have little issue in most cities in getting photography in less than desirable neighborhoods. Most residents don't really care. Don't cause a stir, simple as that. A crime happens 8 seconds...it doesn't always happen to you. Make sure you have your cell phone with you in case. :)

(...now personally I suck with security in terms of being worried. I have the opposite problem.)
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: If I have to go to a questionable area on a safety standpoint the best time that I have found is the AM rush hour on weekdays...

The "riffraff" is usually not active during that time of day as they may be later in the day as an example...

I think that the Chester TC would be a good place to trainspot in the daytime but if you are not sure try the AM rush...
I feel it would be quite interesting...

I have been there myself in the daytime but I know to watch my back after dark...

MACTRAXX
  by gprimr1

AM Rush hour is always good. The criminal element is mostly gone.

A bottle of mace is a good, non-lethal form of personal protection as well. I never leave home without it, and unlike some other forms of personal protection (that are legal in PA) you don't need to be 21 to have it.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Of course, bring a friend. More safer and fun.
  by SubwayTim

I did manage to get my photos and videos at the locations mentioned at the start of this thread with no problem. I went both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings between 7:00 and 8:00 PM. I had my dog with me both times, which of coarse, adds a little more security. I personally doubt anyone looking to rob someone would target someone with a large dog!
  by RDG-LNE

I dated a gal at Widener for eigteen months and walked many times from the T.C. to the university and back with no issues - a few times were after nightfall. I'm not a big guy, either. As long as you look like you belong you won't get hassled. I've shot from along the tracks a few times at street level and no problems - I did so during "regular business hours."

Drew
  by Matthew Mitchell

There is extra police presence at Chester Transportation Center on afternoons and evenings when the Philadelphia Union have a home game.