• Charter Special Train on LIRR (POC)?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 9C1LT1

So I guess we will never see this done again? Another Railroad's power leading a train on the LIRR?
I was told LIRR said no to CP a year or two ago when CP was going to bring down a Dash-9 or two for the celebration in Greenport.

by Retroboy

How come the LIRR seems to be the Nazis of the Rails

by jayrmli

I know the pool of FL9s to choose from were limited due to weight restrictions. Some of the FL9s were lighter than others due to rebuilds.

Jay

by DutchRailnut

all the FL-9's weigh the same Jay.
the ones with HEP are actualy much lighter Since there is no 300 gallon watertank in them anymore.
the steam genny and hep almost weigh the same.

by bluebelly

Retroboy wrote:How come the LIRR seems to be the Nazis of the Rails
Is it the LIRR or the MTA that are the "Nazis of the Rails?"

by DutchRailnut

No matter what railroad when your on Their railroad you play Their game.
as far as foreign power on LIRR with todays Cab signal/ATC the other railroads engines do not comply with the frequncies and speeds so why should LIRR let them on their propperty.
FRA rules clearly state an engine must comply with all rules for service it is put into.
so for a CP rail engine to go on LIRR it must be equipped with LIRR cab signal, curently they only go to Fresh pond were no cabsignal/atc exists.

by Retroboy

I say the LIRR, but i guess it would realy be the MTA.

by bluebelly

FRA rules clearly state an engine must comply with all rules for service it is put into
This is true, however the LIRR's operating rules do provide for the operation of unequipped locomotives. Permission from the GST (in otherwords a trainorder) is required , after that the train will operate as if it were LIRR equipment with a speed failure.

by DutchRailnut

I betya if you read rules again it says units with failed Cab/atc.
non of North east feederlines is allowed any locomotive on them without cab/atc.
unequipped locomotives are not to be run in lead.

by jayrmli

A couple of clarifications...

Bluebelly is correct that the rules state an engine can be exempted from complying with having ASC if it is given proper permission (i.e. - train order). The unit would be operated as if it were a failure.

The LIRR did not prohibit a CP engine from participating in the Riverhead Railroad Festival a couple of years ago due to non-ASC. First off, the engine would have been towed out, and wouldn't have needed it. The problem arose when the LIRR Engineering Department placed a 30MPH restriction on movement of the engine because it was a six-axle locomotive and was overweight. Instead, a GP38 was attempted to be brought down instead but it wouldn't have arrived in time.

Jay

by bluebelly

DutchRailnut wrote:I betya if you read rules again it says units with failed Cab/atc.
non of North east feederlines is allowed any locomotive on them without cab/atc.
unequipped locomotives are not to be run in lead.
I am sorry but you are incorrect , as Jay confirmed, the rules very clearly provide for operation of unequipped locomotives.

Thanks Jay.
Regarding the CP engine, I had heard the same reason that you stated, but there is one thing I didn't understand then and still don't .Since it was a 6 axle locomotive even though it's overall weight may have been greater then a DM,with the weight is distributed over 6 axles instead of 4 wouldn't the actual pressuer on the rails be less? Well I guess it doesn't matter, it's their railroad.

by lirrmike

Now this is going back some but, weren't the FM Trainmaster Demos heavier? And didn't they travel the system? Also wouldn't the SD40s need their snow plows either removed or notched out for the 3rd rail?

Mike

by DogBert

Snowplows are already cut for their regular trip down the MN hudson line

by lirrmike

Oops, that's right I thought about that after I sent it.

Mike

by jhdeasy

I thought I would take this opportunity to update you on the status of our dealings with LIRR for a charter special train of private cars in January 2005. The original desire was a special train of approximately 4 Amtrak certified private cars (provded by us) to operate from a point in NYC (Pennsylvania Station, Long Island City, Hunterspoint Avenue or Jamica) to Montauk and return later that day, on behalf of a charter client. LIRR would provide a locomotive (MP15 should work) and operating crew for 8 hours or less. We would provide the cars, food & beverage service, etc.

At first contact in Spring 2004, LIRR's marketing group seemed shocked we would make such a request. Then they said we should put it in writing, but they would not consider it until after their participation in the US Open golf tournament was completed. That time came and went; LIRR was simply non-responsive. It was clear their attitude could be stated as PLEASE GO AWAY!

After briefing the client on LIRR's unwillingness, we offered three options:

(1) A trip from Pennsylvania Station to Albany-Rensselaer and return using several private cars on the rear of Amtrak trains.

(2) A trip around NJ using M&E Railway equipment and trackage rights on NJ Transit.

(3) A from GCT to anywhere on Metro North and return, using some combination of our equipment and their equipment.

The client chose option 3.

Metro North has proven themselves to be the opposite of LIRR; they are willing to work with you on special trains and they price them in a manner which will guarantee them a profit in return for their efforts. If all goes well, we will be highballing on Metro North in mid-January 2005.