• Changes in 6576 The North Penn Limited

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by zebrasepta

Additional Service at Temple University Station
Effective Monday, December 13, 2010
In response to customer concerns about overcrowding, additional capacity will be added to the North Penn Limited, Train #6576.
This PM, Weekday train will also be stopping at Temple University Station beginning December 13th.
The train will depart Temple Station at 5:26 p.m. From Temple, the next stop will be Fort Washington and then local service to Lansdale and Doylestown.

Edit: Heres the link
http://www.septa.org/alert/lan.html

Are they adding another car to 6576?
  by Matthew Mitchell

scotty269 wrote:The walls have ears!
I have it on good authority the walls drink Coors Extra Bland in case you want to send them a thank you.
  by Silverliner II

Uh oh. Not the best idea. A friend of mine who has been a daily rider aboard 6576 for his trip home for years reports that train is SRO out of Market East several times a week, and even leaving people behind when they are a car short. This is going to be really interesting now....
  by zebrasepta

Silverliner II wrote:Uh oh. Not the best idea. A friend of mine who has been a daily rider aboard 6576 for his trip home for years reports that train is SRO out of Market East several times a week, and even leaving people behind when they are a car short. This is going to be really interesting now....
Couldn't SEPTA add a extra car to the consist?
  by Franklin Gowen

Silverliner II wrote:Uh oh. Not the best idea. A friend of mine who has been a daily rider aboard 6576 for his trip home for years reports that train is SRO out of Market East several times a week, and even leaving people behind when they are a car short. This is going to be really interesting now....
What? See below:
zebrasepta wrote:Additional Service at Temple University Station
Effective Monday, December 13, 2010
In response to customer concerns about overcrowding, additional capacity will be added to the North Penn Limited, Train #6576.
How is adding capacity to that train anything other than a good idea? Especially if it's already SRO out of MKE?

A shame that it's not this "North Penn" -- here's a timetable excerpt...

That 25 minute running time from Wayne Junction to Lansdale is mighty sweet.
  by South Jersey Budd

Ok I don't get it. The Landale locals that run every half hour were too crowded? So were gonna slow down an express to make another stop.

Did they; look at adding cars to the Lansdale local 578 and 580?
; were 578 and 580 SRO?

Who is accountable now?
  by Matthew Mitchell

Sounds like they're adding a car to 6576, and they won't need the entire capacity of that car to accommodate the customers who are presently standing. Thus they can add a Temple stop to that train. Temple ridership is growing faster than other stations' and stopping 6576 there will save customers the need to transfer at Lansdale.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Sounds like they're adding a car to 6576, and they won't need the entire capacity of that car to accommodate the customers who are presently standing. Thus they can add a Temple stop to that train. Temple ridership is growing faster than other stations' and stopping 6576 there will save customers the need to transfer at Lansdale.
I know the traffic department has been out 3 times checking this train in the last 3 months and I understand that an additional car is being talked about....
  by South Jersey Budd

I don't get it. The half hour Lansdale trains are too crowded so were gonna slow down the express? 578 and 580 are SRO?
  by MichaelBug

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Sounds like they're adding a car to 6576, and they won't need the entire capacity of that car to accommodate the customers who are presently standing. Thus they can add a Temple stop to that train. Temple ridership is growing faster than other stations' and stopping 6576 there will save customers the need to transfer at Lansdale.
Train 6576 is already six cars now as it is. Adding another car would make it 7. Would there then be problems with platform length? There are no other Silverliner consists on SEPTA now that are normally seven cars, AFAIK.
  by MichaelBug

I am the daily rider of 6576 that Silverliner II is talking about...
  by Silverliner II

The alert as posted here made it sound like they were just adding a stop to 6576... not adding another car. If they add another car to 6576, that's a totally different thing (and at that point, they may as well shift the Bomber set from 6321/6378 to that train and let it park on the Long Siding overnight at Doylestown.... maybe the folks at Doylestown Hunt will have forgotten about the air spitting noises from the AEM7 overnight.... :)
  by Ken S.

Silverliner II wrote:
The alert as posted here made it sound like they were just adding a stop to 6576... not adding another car. If they add another car to 6576, that's a totally different thing (and at that point, they may as well shift the Bomber set from 6321/6378 to that train and let it park on the Long Siding overnight at Doylestown.... maybe the folks at Doylestown Hunt will have forgotten about the air spitting noises from the AEM7 overnight.... :)
Or see if NJT has anymore extra Comets laying around that SEPTA can take. Unless they're all gone SEPTA can take 10 Comet IIIs and an ALP44 to outfit this train with a push-pull set.