• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

I never heard if they actually want more seats for that car; I know a guy who has actual seats out of some ex-LIRR coaches of the same type, on pallets in a warehouse.
  by jmarino

RussNelson wrote:
jmarino wrote:The couch is looking great , and warm any who can should come check it out and take a ride
There's a couch in the coach?? Now THAT is what I call travelling in comfort!
Good idea , but I misspelled ,
  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:I never heard if they actually want more seats for that car; I know a guy who has actual seats out of some ex-LIRR coaches of the same type, on pallets in a warehouse.
I know that same guy. He's already been in touch with us... ;-)

-otto-
  by lvrr325

Well, I have to go up to where they are in the morning for a bit, I can walk over and take a picture or two if it helps any.
  by Bernard Rudberg

We went to Kingston and took a ride on the Catskill Mountain RR.
Christmas carols and Santa Claus were along for the ride.

Bernie Rudberg Hopewell Depot Restoration
  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:Well, I have to go up to where they are in the morning for a bit, I can walk over and take a picture or two if it helps any.
That would be great, thanks!

-otto-
  by eehiv

Saturday, Decemmber 7th

In Kingston on Saturday,the CMRR ran four Holiday Extras. Crews included: Earl Pardini-Engineer, Ray Farrell-Conductor, Walt Otto-Trainman, Neil Remsen, Freddie Rasmussen-Flaggers, Ron Epstein, Karen Vogel, Alex Sorenson-Car Attendants, Dakin and Mrs.Morehouse-Santa and Mrs.Claus, Mark Glaser-Brakeman, Jim Bruck-Ticket Agent, plus several musicians.

At Campground Curve near Phoenicia, George Peck led a crew that aligned and leveled the new track there. Participating were Art Vogel, Dave Heick, and Jarrett May.

Sunday, December 8th

On Sunday, Five Holiday Trains departed Westbrook Station in the Kingston Plaza including a special train for Cub Scouts and their parents. Sunday crew: Earl Pardini-Engineer, Walt Otto-Conductor, Freddie Rasmussen, Neil Remsen, Dave Hilliard-Flaggers, Mark Glaser-Trainman, Greg Vaughn, Pat Smalley, George Bain - Car Attendants, Tony Bochinno-Brakeman, Dakin and Mrs. Morehouse-Santa and Mrs.Claus, Neil and Kathy Isabelle and Lee Eaton, Jim Donnelly, Frank and Vita Romano - musicians, Peter Fluchere and Dave Cenova -Ticket Agents. Welcome to new volunteer John Marino who rode with the crew on several trains.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=212733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=212734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=212735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=212736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday, December 14th

On Saturday, in Phoenicia, George Peck will lead a crew starting at 9:00am. He plans use start engine 29 and use it to move engine 407 to Longyear siding. George could use additional qualified train crew for the move.

On Saturday in Kingston, the yard will open at 9am. First run will be at 1pm.

Sunday, December 15th

Cornell Street will open at 10am. We plan to run the Holiday Train starting at 1pm.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by thebigham

How true is this?

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-new ... -reservoir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ulster County says NYC putting up $2.5M for trail along tracks at Ashokan Reservoir

Ulster County Executive Michael Hein, right, reaches out to shake hands with New York City DEP Commissioner Carter Strickland during Thursday’s news conference in Kingston. Patricia Doxsey — Daily Freeman

By Freeman staff

Posted: 12/12/13

KINGSTON >> The New York City Department of Environmental Protection is putting up $2.5 million for the creation of an 11.5-mile recreational trail on Ulster County-owned railroad tracks along the city’s Ashokan Reservoir, according to County Executive Michael Hein.

Signage, restrooms and trailheads will be part of the project, Hein said at a news conference on Thursday.

The stretch of track targeted for the development is leased by the county to the Catskill Mountain Railroad under a deal that expires in 2016. The county says the railroad is in violation of the lease, because it has not carried out agreed-upon maintenance, and currently is in a legal battle over who has rights to use the property.

The railroad runs two scenic trains on portions of the track, though not the section targeted for the trail announced on Thursday.
  by airman00

Well THIS is not good!! :( Keep up the good fight boys! As far as this press conference goes something just doesn't seem right here... like a lot of "smoke and mirrors" if you ask me. Not to mention the article said nothing about the fact the judge ruled the CMRR could stay. At best no trail work could begin until 2016 which gives the railroad plenty of time to rebuild right up to the damaged boiceville trestle. Not to mention... It's funny how nobody in authority or on the trail side makes mention of the 2.3 million in FEMA funding that's being withheld. That ALONE could rebuild a large portion of the railroad. Whatever happened with that?

Add to that the DURR wants to rebuild east and with the cmrr's own rebuilding efforts we have a rebuilt railroad on the table WITH funding ready to go.
  by RussNelson

I believe it's true. Sadly, $2.5 million might be enough to put down rock dust, but not enough to pave it -- which is what bicycles, roller skaters, and families pushing strollers really need. It really looks like the fix is in, in spite of what the public wants.
  by RussNelson

Reality check, airman00: between the missing Phoenicia bridge and the destroyed Big Indian bridge is a wasteland. Basically everything south of NY-28 is a goner. There are eight washouts, totalling 1.2km. It would be *completely* reasonable for the DURR to operate another 7.4km down to Lasher Road. The only work needed to do that is replacing the crossing at Station Road, bridge inspection and tie replacement. Maybe a little bit of stream washout or washover (I didn't keep track of every little bit of washout). Shovel work, really.

Call me a pessimist, but I think that the CMRR is going to be able to operate on the sections it currently operates on, if that. The county is going to take back the ROW between Boiceville and 209 in 2016 at least, and I'm sure they want it from Washington Street west as well. If they got that, they could connect the O&W trail to the CMRR trail. And Heiney's trail dream would be complete if he could connect the Walkill Branch by painting a bike lane on South Wall Street / Greenkill / Railroad Avenue and completely destroying the CMRR's Kingston operations to turn it into a trail from the north end of Railroad Avenue all the way to Boiceville Bridge.

The only reason they're trying to break the lease before 2016 is because Heiney expects to be voted out of office for all these shenanigans, and wants to have the "Mike Hein Trail Network" complete before that happens.
  by map193

The county doesn't have to lease back the land come 2016, but in order to do any trail construction don't the rails need to be out of place which means abandonment or at least rail-banking? I know abandonment is a costly procedure, but is rail-banking costly too? It seems like Ulster county is going to have a lot of money tied up into a dirt path. Hopefully next election year will help the CMRR out a little bit. By the way what happens to the $70,000 bond that had to be posted by the 29th of November, does the state keep that money for themselves or does it go to the county as a sign of-good faith?

-Marc Pisa
  by airman00

Mr. Nelson I'm aware that between Phonecia and Big Indian, that section is in really bad shape. However, my point was that the DURR has expressed an interest in rebuilding east from Highmount to big indian. The CMRR themselves are rebuilding westward and following the work reports by Mr. Hunt, they should be at hurley mountian road in the springtime. (and then beyond) With the FEMA funds for the Irene damage... (AND add in repair work already done with Campground Curve and Phonecia Station repaired)... Add that all together:

Durr wants to rebuild further east + Cmrr rebuilding west + FEMA funds + western repair work already done = 80% of railroad rebuilt??

Minus the section between phonecia and big indian of course. But if the rest of work got done then perhaps you could address that section a little at a time, piece by piece. Now all what I just mentioned is ALREADY on the table and the county ignores all of it.
  by eehiv

To all:

The announcement on Thursday was made by the outgoing NYC DEP commissioner. A new one under a new Mayor will be appointed in January, who will likely want to work on a completely different agreement. No money flows until an agreement is actually signed between NYC and Ulster County, which could take years to negotiate. In the meantime, the CMRR's access is uncontested as long as the lease is in place. The railbanking process cannot begin without the CMRR's consent, again as long as the CMRR's lease is in place. Without railbanking, which is highly unlikely to be granted by the STB, and without a written agreement with the DEP, the only access to the reservoir is by rail.

As to the ROW conditions, except for the Big Indian Bridge at MP 36.77, the ROW is completely intact until you reach the first washout just west of the Route 28 crossing in Shandaken at MP 33.8. The 6 miles from MP 27.9 to 33.8 are where the worst conditions exist - washouts at MP 28, MP 28.5, missing bridge at MP 28.8, washouts at MP 29.1, 31.3, 31.7 to 32, 32.7, and 33.8.

EH