• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Someone should point out that scrap prices rise and fall dramatically over the course of a year, and there is no guarantee what those rails are worth right now, just as scrap, is what they'll be worth in six months or a year from now.

In essence, Hein is gambling on an uncertainly to balance the budget.

Also, any strategy to find the real reasons for all this nonsense, probably should be discussed privately so as not to give these clowns a chance to hide their tracks.
  by thebigham

DogBert wrote:Another thought - ya'all keep track of how many people have rode the trains? Can correlate with 'tourism', and If there's been an increase over time, even better.
Of course!

Every passenger is counted in Mt. Tremper and Kingston.

Every volunteer hour is also counted each and every year.
  by Otto Vondrak

DogBert wrote:Another thought - ya'all keep track of how many people have rode the trains? Can correlate with 'tourism', and If there's been an increase over time, even better.
These increasing figures (including volunteer hours) are indeed published in CMRR's Annual Progress Report:

http://catskillmtrailroad.com/news.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
  by eehiv

Friday, June 28th

Trains will be running in Mt. Tremper.

Saturday, June 29th

On Saturday we will be running in Mt. Tremper and Kingston.

In Mt. Tremper, George Peck plans to support the train crews through the first run, then his crew will switch to Phoenicia where they will continue work cleaning up the Phoenicia yard. Meet at 9:30am at Mt. Tremper.

Sunday, June 30th

Trains will be running in Mt. Tremper.

In Kingston, George Peck and Mark Glaser will lead a track crew starting at 9am at Cornell Street Yard. Plans are to continue installing ties west of C9 so our Kingston City Limited can go further west to Route 209, and running the sickle bar in Kingston.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by RussNelson

thebigham wrote:
DogBert wrote:Every volunteer hour is also counted each and every year.
Yes, because repeat, even infrequent, volunteers such as I, count just as much as any trail rider. How many times are you going to come from out of the county to ride the trail? Once, maybe twice. There's only a few remote trails that I've ridden more than once: Dutchess, Malta, Genesee Valley. Usually I ride the trail local to me: Rutland.

Since the whole point of economic development is to bring money in from outside the county, which is more likely to do so: a train or a trail? Unlike Mike Hein (who apparently has a crystal ball) I can only speak for myself when I say that I'll ride this trail once, whereas I've ridden the train, and have volunteered for the railroad five times.

That's six train-generated visits compared to one trail-generated visit. And I'm even more of a trail nut than a train nut.

EDIT: actually seven; one work visit was two days long.
  by airman00

jmarino wrote:Mowing by Holiday Inn looks great , I seen those folks working in the rain on that nice job Folks !

Well then I second that, especially if they were working out in the rain. Seeing as I work outdoors myself and I got soaked today. Here in New Jersey we got quite a bit of rain. Don't know how it was upstate, but working in the rain is never easy. :-)
  by jmarino

airman00 wrote:
jmarino wrote:Mowing by Holiday Inn looks great , I seen those folks working in the rain on that nice job Folks !

Well then I second that, especially if they were working out in the rain. Seeing as I work outdoors myself and I got soaked today. Here in New Jersey we got quite a bit of rain. Don't know how it was upstate, but working in the rain is never easy. :-)
Yes the same here raining quite A bit some minor flooding
  by Dick H

NYS Department of Labor Investigating the CMRR. The politicans in a full court press against the railroad. Ride while you can.\

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /307020333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note: Story is on a paywall site. You only get three freebees a month.
Better save the story if you want to refer to it late.
  by jmarino

This is a unbelievable what Hein and his ____- will do to freedom and the CMRR ! I am referring to the investigation by nys labor dept.
  by scoostraw

Well it's obvious they are bringing all their guns to bear on the RR. This is really sad.
  by charlie6017

scoostraw wrote:Well it's obvious they are bringing all their guns to bear on the RR. This is really sad.
Well, you know what they say about Karma.......these clowns will have their own "Judgement Days" eventually.

Charlie
  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

(1) You know the NYS Dept. of Labor is doing this at the behest of some politico. (2) If you want to know what brought this about, just follow the money trail.