• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Scott K

What a load of rubbish! I thought the ADIX had it bad, but this is ridiculous! What can these politicians possily have to gain from destroying the railroad? Ernie, what did you guys do to them? All I see when I look at the CMRR, is a great deal of hard work, and amazing accomplishments. Apparently, all the city and county see, is a linear garbage dump that needs to go away. Don't maintain the property? Cornell Street a junkyard? Like I said, a giant load of rubbish! I guess during Clean Sweep, you must have picked all that stuff up, and put it right back again, eh?

I wonder if the Trolley Museum is next, once they think they're done with you. Lets see, some nice waterfront condos down there would be just the thing...

Scott K.
  by lvrr325

I never would have moved those cars if I wasn't prepared to bring them right down into the yard and leave them there. Why is this guy only concerned with lead and "pesticides" now? They've been up there for years and years.

I mean obviously he's throwing out a line of crap to try to scare the average people who wouldn't know any better. Someone aught to show him a report on the things going through town every day on CSX trains...

Is CMR not legally able to do what it wants on it's tracks the same as any other railroad, like CSX?

On the other hand I suppose crews can just go to work beyond the cars and simply keep pushing them further out as they go if need be. That will work up to where the bridge needs to be replaced. Or just bring them into town in the dead of night, run around them with whatever needs to get past them, and take the whole thing back on out of town. These politicians don't seem like they'd be swift enough to notice the difference.
  by jmarino

lvrr325 wrote:I never would have moved those cars if I wasn't prepared to bring them right down into the yard and leave them there. Why is this guy only concerned with lead and "pesticides" now? They've been up there for years and years.

I mean obviously he's throwing out a line of crap to try to scare the average people who wouldn't know any better. Someone aught to show him a report on the things going through town every day on CSX trains...

Is CMR not legally able to do what it wants on it's tracks the same as any other railroad, like CSX?

On the other hand I suppose crews can just go to work beyond the cars and simply keep pushing them further out as they go if need be. That will work up to where the bridge needs to be replaced. Or just bring them into town in the dead of night, run around them with whatever needs to get past them, and take the whole thing back on out of town. These politicians don't seem like they'd be swift enough to notice the difference.
He is worried about pesticides ? give me a break we all go out to buy fresh corn from the folks at gills and all the others that grow out their , your right its all crap , One derailment of a csx train and most of the city will be evacuated if carrying some liquid chlorine etc. then again the city did do battle with csx at one time another story for another time ,
  by tj48

lvrr325 wrote:I never would have moved those cars if I wasn't prepared to bring them right down into the yard and leave them there. Why is this guy only concerned with lead and "pesticides" now? They've been up there for years and years.

Is CMR not legally able to do what it wants on it's tracks the same as any other railroad, like CSX.
If these politicians are so concerned for the people of Kingston of what the environmental impact these two cars may have then they should park more dump trucks across the CSX tracks and block every entrance into Kingston to keep out cars and trucks from spewing there deadly exhaust all over the people of Kingston, as well as announce that every citizen of Kingston must turn in their current cars and trucks for electrically powered vehicles.
After that every store that sells fertilizers, chemicals and anything else that could possibly contaminate the ground water should also be ordered to halt sales to protect the people of Kingston.
Next, the Mayor of Kingston should organize a 'property standards task force' and evaluate EVERY property in Kingston. Those that don't meet the Mayor's utopian vision are fined or demolished.
Otto, you said a few posts back that there are politicians that are supportive of the railroad..... Where are their voices now that this railroad is apparently in the crosshairs of people (who I can't help but feel are in the minority) who are out to turn it into nothing more than a dirt path.
By the way... If it were to become a dirt path would the politicians and the people who so want this to happen also go along the path and collect up all the garbage that the railroad just did.
  by jmarino

I took a ride out to Washington ave , my tax dollars for a childish stunt unbelievable , don't worrie if it becomes a trail they will just raise taxes or put a fee on to offset the cost of maintenance ,
  by Scott K

Now that really is ridiculous! Doesn't that now interefere with the railroad's right to run it's lawful excursions? Not to mention blocking any more work on the line? Things are escalating out of control here. Let the legal battle commence.

Scott K.
  by jmarino

tj48 wrote:

Is CMR not legally able to do what it wants on it's tracks the same as any other railroad, like CSX.
If these politicians are so concerned for the people of Kingston of what the environmental impact these two cars may have then they should park more dump trucks across the CSX tracks and block every entrance into Kingston to keep out cars and trucks from spewing there deadly exhaust all over the people of Kingston, as well as announce that every citizen of Kingston must turn in their current cars and trucks for electrically powered vehicles.
After that every store that sells fertilizers, chemicals and anything else that could possibly contaminate the ground water should also be ordered to halt sales to protect the people of Kingston.
Next, the Mayor of Kingston should organize a 'property standards task force' and evaluate EVERY property in Kingston. Those that don't meet the Mayor's utopian vision are fined or demolished

If they did that 2/3 of the city would be demolished including city owned property's

Otto, you said a few posts back that there are politicians that are supportive of the railroad..... Where are their voices now that this railroad is apparently in the crosshairs of people (who I can't help but feel are in the minority) who are out to turn it into nothing more than a dirt path.
By the way... If it were to become a dirt path would the politicians and the people who so want this to happen also go along the path and collect up all the garbage that the railroad just did.
  by tj48

eehiv wrote:Look at this:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=208380

EH
Once again and unbelievably cheap political grandstanding at its worst...... What did this railroad do to piss off these people? Why is the Mayor and County Executive so against bring more tourism dollars to their area. So sad.
  by traingeek8223

This has truly reached the point of absurdity. The corruption at the political level is absolutely sickening. If I were a Kingston taxpayer I would be upset with my mayor using a $100,000 city owned dump truck to block the passing of a train. Are the neighbors at Cornell St. really complaining about the ugliness of the yard? Last I checked it was fenced and there was nothing but industry (or former industry) in the neighbor hood.

A cloud of pollution? Health risks? How can anybody possibly believe this? I think the idea hurt my brain.

I don't have the answers here. It seems the railroad is really up against it. And we thought mother nature were the worst thing to happen to the CMRR.

Ernie. You guys are doing tremendous work. Keep it up. The truth will come out eventually. The county will ultimately look foolish tearing up a functional railroad. Hope you have a plan to get across 209 because that will be the next place they will try to hold you up.

Keep letting us know how we can help.
  by tj48

Also happen to notice that that City of Kingston dump truck is one of those pollution spewing kind..... Not to mention that the liquids it uses are toxic as well.... better block that truck as well....
  by ut-1

The court will put a quick end to City trucks blocking the CMRR. Orders to Show Cause are emergency procedural devices used to get immediate temporary relief. They are oftentimes granted just on the papers of the moving party (here the City of Kingston) without any input from the opposing party. The matter is then assigned a quick "return date" where both parties appear before the court and argue their positions. By blocking the CMRR's right of way, the City has resorted to self-help. The judge will not be pleased by this action as the City has committed an act of trespass.

CMRR, as leaseholder, has a legal right to move cars in and out of its yard. Once in the yard, of course, the railroad would have to comply with applicable laws should it attempt removal of lead paint from the passenger cars. I think it unlikely that the City will prevail in the long run.
  by map193

Enough is enough with the blocking of the tracks with a city owned dump truck. I think the proper authorities need to be called and someone needs to press charges against the mayor and possibly the supt. of the DPW for allowing this to happen. From the looks of things on the Daily Freeman's website politics within Ulster County are in a melee right now. Hopefully this political stunt will work in our favor. Rail supporters need to make their voices louder, I think its sad to say but dollar signs speak louder than actions and the trail lobby has a lot more greenbacks that what the rail lobby has. I'm sure this is in violation of Federal law, but it is also in violation state law as well.
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSS ... ARGET=VIEW