• Cartier Alco/MLW renumbering confusion.

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by David Hutchinson

It's a minor comment, but NYSW should at least renumber in the same style/font. These two look good.

by ANDY117

Agreed! Cohocton really outdid themselves. I like the NYSW on the radiators, it's a nice touch.
  by deezlfan

This weekend I had a chance to check out the Utica shops and 77 is still in the deadline out back, in the company of all the derelict GEs. The E9s are still there too. Not much else interesting except the BAR GP in blue and Gray.

by oibu

Never mind NYSW on the rads...I wanna see "SUSQUEHANNA" in white script right where the "CARTIER" name used to be!

by David Hutchinson

The units would look good with just that and that alone... the paint on the units seem to be in great shape.......... let's take up a collection...........the C636s should be looked after..........

by ANDY117

Add 3664 to the list! All i know it isn't 78.

by Steve F45

Not trying to sound ignorant but how come NYSW is purchasing alot of the older engines and nothing newer? Also why not paint them in NYSW Black and Yellow?

by Lackawanna484

2005Vdub wrote:Not trying to sound ignorant but how come NYSW is purchasing alot of the older engines and nothing newer? Also why not paint them in NYSW Black and Yellow?

Very cheap power. They may paint them as funds permit, but they may not.

NYSW bought used power for many years, fixed it up to run most of the time, and then replaced it with other used power. The difference in price was huge, and in their favor.

When lease deals reached give away rates, they leased power from GE and EMD vendors, which is how they got the B40-8 and SD75 power.

(Sorta like buying a five year old car for $10,000, or buying a new car for $25,000 if you only expect to use it for a few years and you're handy with tools)

by Tri-State Tom

Plus Norfolk Southern and CSX control the purse strings too....

by David Hutchinson

Everything they own is near the bottom... trucks, MOW equipment.... anything. They look for bargains and do not spend much on upkeep/maintenance.

by Steve F45

Thanks guys. Always wondered what was up with all the odd colored engines down in RP. Now i know. Kinda sad though, i hardly ever see the black/yellow scheme anymore.

by Steve F45

Thanks guys. Always wondered what was up with all the odd colored engines down in RP. Now i know. Kinda sad though, i hardly ever see the black/yellow scheme anymore.

by Steve F45

by sallenparks

I would have to say 3664 is old 41 as the 47 is the ownly one left un numbered of the m636's.

by ANDY117

Wrong, 78, 47, and 41 are unrenumbered. Not sure of 43. i think that one is 3664.