Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by atlpete

While waiting for Amtrak to Albany I noticed a small trackside storage facility at the north end of the Yonkers station area with a variety of transit and commuter rail equipment, including what look like two ex-Metra C&NW bilevels (from earlier string: MARC going to Kawasaki for rebuild?) There was also a short two axle tower car with pantograph. Very interesting. Also an empty lowboy truck trailer to haul rail cars. Is this where Kawasaki picks up and delivers rail cars? Who owns it?
TIA

by Nester

You answered your own question -- you passed Kawasaki's Yonkers plant. If you were looking at the signs instead of the rolling stock, you would have seen the big red Kawasaki sign :)

Nester

by bingdude

And if you passed there this weekend you would have seen an LIRR Bi-level sitting out front.

The Metra cars are being worked on for VRE, not MARC. There was a third one there a month or so ago lettered for VRE.

by atlpete

Thanks for the info, I must confess I did miss the sign, I was looking at the yard from the Yonkers station platform. So does Kawasaki have to trailer the cars to an off-site plant, or do they work them on-site? I don't recall seeing enough of a facility there to do rebuilds, yet the idea of trailering bi-levels seems unlikely.
  by bingdude

Maybe someone else can elaborate, but I think the Truck trailers are mostly used to deliver finished NYCTA subway cars. There is a siding connected there, and the LIRR C3 and the METRA cars came in by rail via CSX. On the METRA forum there was posting on the Gallery cars. There are (were) more of them stored at Croton yard.

Kawasaki only does some of the assembly in Yonkers--enough that the cars qualify as "Made in New York."