• Car noise on SLV's approaches levels requiring protection

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by 25Hz

Limited-Clear wrote:You hit the nail on the head, all those observations are exactly what is wrong with these cars, for once a post that doesnt slam septa with this is wrong that is wrong, you noted that the lowest bidder gave a product that won't last, you noted things that are wrong with the cars while keeping it as observations, very impartial and to the point, now imagine having to deal with all that for a 30yr career, working 6 days a week up to 12hrs + a day, I know the crews didn't sign up for all that crap, but they deal with it and try to make the best of it
Well, if we are stuck with these "unique" MU's for a few decades, i suggest some mitigation modifications to allow the riding experience for all involved to become more tolerable. I've said it before and so have others, these were built pretty much like bloated subway cars, and the sound levels inside a NYC subway car is comparable to the silverliner 5's.... Even PA-5 cars are a LOT quieter, but then again, the PA knows what it's doing and they learned from the NYC subway cars made by same manufacturer that a modified design would be OK and work for their needs.

Why go with an untested design when we have multiple existing designs that could have been modified to suit the characteristics of SEPTA's operating environment?

I'd argue that the only decently positive aspect of the new MU's is the front facing view, and even that may go away with full width cabs at some point.

As for what COULD be done exactly to make them run quieter..... Image
  by jackintosh11

dcipjr wrote:The lighter colored floors look dirty quickly, especially in the winter. The doors still don't work reliably; at least once or twice a week my train is delayed because they can't get the doors to open or close properly—this has been a problem since the beginning. Many of the car-end door closers and cab door closers are already broken. I've seen the cab doors not latch properly and swing out / slam violently when the cars lurch—a definite safety hazard. Also, three times in the last few months, I've been on a V where the signal buzzer gets stuck, and buzzes loudly for several minutes, while the train crew tries to get it to turn off.
Although there was one time when a closet door wouldn't stay closed, I haven't really noticed any issues with anything else. However, I did once get delayed when a Silverliner IV had problems with the doors not closing properly. As for the announcements, the number of accidents hasn't gone down because of the "watch your step/gap when exiting." The announcements should be just like they were on the old cars, but automated. The one upside to the automated voice is that it won't make an announcement that nobody can understand. And once NPT is in place, what are they going to do with the ticket holders? Nobody will know what they are for in 30 years.
  by 25Hz

The ticket holders are often used for yellow seat checks.
  by Clearfield

chuchubob wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Where's my hearing protection when I ride the El?
on your fingertips
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D