• Cape Rail to purchase New Bedford/Fall River Secondaries

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by pvincent342

http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/x179 ... ail-tracks

Taunton —

The state’s $100 million agreement with CSX Transportation to take ownership of railroad tracks leading from Taunton to New Bedford and Fall River has come before a federal board for review, a development that Patrick administration officials hail as a major step toward expanding rail service.

“It’s another milestone,” South Coast Rail project manager Kristina Egan said.

The agreement is seen as a critical component of a $1-2 billion plan to provide commuter rail service between Boston and the South Coast. State officials expect the comprehensive agreement between the freight carrier and the state to clear the federal Surface Transportation Board before the scheduled closing on the property in May.

“This filing is a federal review to make sure that the transfer of property holds freight harmless,” Egan said.

Since the state’s contract with CSX already carries that provision, the state has filed a motion for the review to be dismissed.

“This agreement is good for commuters, businesses and the Massachusetts economy,” Lt. Gov. Tim Murray said in a statement his office released Wednesday.

In addition to expanding service to the South Coast, the plan will also allow for increased rail service between Worcester and Boston, state officials said.

Another component of the deal calls for Cape Cod-based Mass Coastal to take over from CSX as the freight carrier in southeastern Massachusetts. Under the agreement, the state will pay CSX $40 million in the spring for the tracks running from Taunton to Fall River and from Taunton to New Bedford.

“We are pleased that we are making real progress, working with Lt. Gov. Tim Murray and the entire Patrick-Murray administration,” CSX Chairman, President and CEO Michael Ward said in a statement. “Commonwealth residents, CSX and its customers will benefit from this transaction, which will lead to additional commuter service and alleviate congestion on Massachusetts highways.”

The proposed rail extension has also received support from U.S. Sen. John Kerry, Congressman Barney Frank and Congressman James McGovern.

The Army Corps of Engineers, which is currently reviewing potential routes, could have an environmental impact review published by June. At that time the state will announce its preferred route, with a public hearing to follow.

The state has said the South Coast Rail project is still on track to open for passenger service in 2016 if diesel engines are chosen, or by 2017 if electric trains are used. The price for the proposed rail link varies according to route and other factors. The route that would go directly south from Stoughton to Taunton before branching off to New Bedford and Fall River would cost an estimated $1.4 billion if diesel engines are used, or $1.9 billion with electric trains.

State Rep. David Flynn, D-Bridgewater, the Dean of the House, has questioned the state’s ability to fund the South Coast Rail project.

“It is my considered opinion, based upon my many years of service in the House and the Executive Branch of state government, that this state is simply unable to fund this project,” Flynn wrote in a Nov. 19 letter to Raynham and Easton selectmen. “The state is broke. And we will be, to coin a phrase, broker next year when we begin budget deliberations for Fiscal 2011 with a budget deficit of close to $3 billion.”

Egan said the state expects to hear word on its federal stimulus grant application for the rail project in January or February.

A potential route that would provide a link between the existing Attleboro line and Taunton, then go on to New Bedford and Fall River, could cost more than $2 billion. Using buses in a dedicated lane instead of trains would cost less than $1 billion. A proposed route that would build off the existing Middleboro line was eliminated from consideration earlier this year.

Taunton Mayor Charles Crowley has spoken in favor of the direct Stoughton route, but called a proposed variation of that route, which would send trains through the Whittenton neighborhood and create 14 street crossings in Taunton, an “abomination” that would cause traffic nightmares for the city.
  by Noel Weaver

This is interesting material BUT no place in this item does it state that Cape Rail is to purchase the properties rather that
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is the purchaser.
While these small railroads have the ability and will to operate freight trains over marginal lines like Fall River and New
Bedford, they usually do not have the finances to actually purchase these properties.
Noel Weaver
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

This has been in the works for awhile, including the NB Secondary purchase (why, I'm not sure...you'd have to tunnel through downtown Fall River to close the last half-mile gap that prevents it from connecting the FR and NB lines together, so it's a nonstarter for revenue service). It's a trailer deal to the other purchase of the Worcester line and Grand Junction Branch from CSX, the Westborough yard relocation, and the other freight upgrades to the B&A for double-stacking. So this was going to happen even with the state broke. I think MBTA was supposed to get them, but it might be the EOT until the passenger lines are ready to be built. I wonder if that means the Framingham Secondary, Milford branch, and Leominster Branch are next, because those are the only CSX-owned tracks left east of Worcester (and Milford and Northborough/Leominster are desired commuter rail extensions).

State will probably chuck in some maintenance, but if CSX and MassCoastal are going to be the only users for the time being they'll have to pay their share (or majority?) of the track maint as per the lease. That's how it's worked with other MBTA-owned freight-only lines. One of the reasons why the Newburyport Branch has been out-of-service since 2001 and is sailing towards eventual abandonment...Guilford refused to pay for upkeep when the track conditions degraded to terrible, and opted to move out or cut off its remaining customers rather than continue to provide (unreliable) service. That won't be a problem here...MassCoastal actually seems like a pretty decent operation. And actually the tracks are in pretty good present condition, so these carriers wouldn't be holding their noses like Guilford/Pan Am did anyway.

Does this mean Bay Colony's done down there? I was visiting family in Dartmouth for Thanksgiving and there was a BC loco parked in plain view of the Reed Road crossing on the NB Secondary.
  by GP40MC1118

The state is purchasing the track from CSX. Mass Coastal has a pending agreement with
CSX and the state for freight operating rights over the Fall River and New Bedford mainlines.
From what I see on the MC map on their webpage, they will have trackage rights over CSX from
Middleboro to Taunton, in order to access NB/FR at Cotely Jct.

CSX is not totally pulling out as the map still shows them operating from Attleboro to
Middleboro/Braintree.

Bay Colony is effectively sandwiched between MC/state property if this goes through since
they will continue to operate the Watuppa Branch between MP6 and New Bedford.

And I don't know what you are talking about "tunneling" between Fall River and New Bedford.
The line split is at Myricks - you can go straight to Fall River or New Bedford!

D
  by GP40MC1118

The Watuppa Branch (or Dartmouth Industrial Track) has three customers:
Mid-City Scrap (end of in service track in Westport, state-owned to BCLR/MP6)
Colonial Beverage and Dartmouth Building Supply at Reed Road in N.Dartmouth.
(DBS has been very inactive since the housing market collapse)

Between Cotely Jct and New Bedford:
Parallel Products (Cotely Jct)
Millis Industries (scrap autos) (E. Freetown)
Wainer siding in New Bedford (former Alden Corrugated Box Company siding and used by
the Maritime Terminal).
Interchange with Bay Colony at Deane St/Nash Rd.
EPA in New Bedford Yard (PCB sludge, seasonal shipments)

Between Myricks and Fall River:
Weyerhauser/Freetown (Weyehauser closed, was used by another company. Unknown if still active)
Fall River state pier: Borden-Remington and a few other unknown customers.

Dave
  by CSX Engineer 98

Mass coastal Will asume operations of New bedford and Fall river (CSX Phase 1) plans possibly as early as this spring.. CSX will continue to operate out of Middleboro to Braintree Interchange with Fore river RR and Middleboro to Attleboro and interchange with Mass costal at (dean street and Cotley)

also the G&U railroad will take over the Milford branch within the 2nd quarter of 2010
  by Teamdriver

Thanx GP40MC1118 Perhaps you might know who brings the beer cars into Randoph (Burke Co. ) ? Thats if they still go in there. The tracks look pretty shabby in that industrial park. Would this be served by the same train as the paper waste recycle plant in Brockton and the tallow cars going into the old P&G plant in Quincy?
  by Tracer

CSX still serves Burke (i saw a couple cars there a few weeks ago). I noticed too the tracks along the building look terrible. I'm suprised the snowplow on the loco doesn't catch the 4x4's that are in that grade crossing.
  by Puter-Geek

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:This has been in the works for awhile, including the NB Secondary purchase (why, I'm not sure...you'd have to tunnel through downtown Fall River to close the last half-mile gap that prevents it from connecting the FR and NB lines together.
There is no Gap. They are connected at Myricks.
  by CSX Engineer 98

Triker wrote: I'm suprised the snowplow on the loco doesn't catch the 4x4's that are in that grade crossing.
they actually do from time to time...hell of a boom it makes
  by CSX Engineer 98

Teamdriver wrote:Who is responsible to fix it? Dont tip over the beer!!!!!! The Burkes run a top class operation there.
Burke... but they are like the RR dont fix it until something brakes
  by TomNelligan

Puter-Geek wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:This has been in the works for awhile, including the NB Secondary purchase (why, I'm not sure...you'd have to tunnel through downtown Fall River to close the last half-mile gap that prevents it from connecting the FR and NB lines together.
There is no Gap. They are connected at Myricks.
I believe that he was referring to the gap between the end of the Watuppa Branch and the Myricks-Fall River line in downtown Fall River.