• Cape May Seashore Lines-2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by David

I am going to lock this thread for a few days. I have been receiving complaints about the "cry-baby" attitudes that some of you have. The same old complaints that have been stated here on New Jersey Railfan, for at least two years continue. Nothing new is being said. It sounds like a bunch of you will have heart attacks if trains do not run! Believe me, Tony is doing his best to make trains run but for now, that is all you really need to know. So, in the meantime, relax, calm down and be patient. When I open this thread soon, I (we) want constructive comments and not the same old rhetoric. If anyone has a problem with this, contact me off line. If the same problems continue, I will lock the thread again. Thank you--David
  by nickrapak

I just drove by the Rt. 9 crossing today, and people were putting the finishing touches on a nice, shiny new control box for the crossing. Looking at both ends down the line, it is quickly looking like it was abandoned. There are small bushes growing to the north of the crossing, and 5 foot tall weeds to the south. Even if service isn't returning this year, I think it would be in Mr. Macrie's best interest to keep the line reasonably clear.
  by rrbluesman

It has been a long time since I have been on this folrum, so I read back a while to catch up. I have always been a proponent of the CMSL and the operations they suggested, I have no personal gripe with the CMSL or Mr. Macrie. However, I am in NJ agaoin right now and the CMSL is still not running, despite promises of operation. It was stated in this forum a few pages ago that if promises are made for service and nothng happens the railfans loose interest, that is yhe point i am at now. For years there have been promises of service, nothing has developed and I don't care anymore. The CMSL is an interesting footnote to me at this point, if something happens and trains start running I will support the line and ride, but since there is rarely any news I really don't care what happens to the line anymore. I think there are probably other railfans who feel the same way. I wish Mr. Macrie and the line the best.
  by dlagrua

It has been reported that the CMSL still has interest in running trains into Cape May. However, unusual obstacles, situations and conditions have prevented this. The CMSL has not chosen to make this info public so lets just all take a breather and wait for official news. If there is a way for the line to run again Tony Macrie will find it Meanwhile, If anyone has a constructive solution on how the line can resume service then send them an email.
  by Sirsonic

dlagrua wrote:It has been reported that the CMSL still has interest in running trains into Cape May. However, unusual obstacles, situations and conditions have prevented this. The CMSL has not chosen to make this info public so lets just all take a breather and wait for official news. If there is a way for the line to run again Tony Macrie will find it Meanwhile, If anyone has a constructive solution on how the line can resume service then send them an email.
How would someone come up with a solution to problems that the CMSL refuses to discuss publicly. If they dont want to make their issues public, they should not expect any public support to get those problems resolved. Without public support, however, opposition can grow. The "better minds are working on it so just be quiet and wait" argument isnt going to work for too much longer. Cry-baby attitude or not, the parties who want to know why this line is not running, while still supporting its operator, may not continue to support its operator if things remain stuck in neutral. The supposed bad guys in this story (Middle Twp, for example) have made public statements that they want the trains to run again. If they are taking steps behind the scenes to block that operation, and nobody explains that, it only serves to give the CMSL a black eye.
  by northjerseybuff

constructive solution- Go to Tuckahoe, order fuel, turn on the RDCs and run the trains!

If this is not acceptable-another option is to sell the line to someone who will run trains.

Without knowing the other circumstances, those are the only 2 options I can see

If there are other outside problems start a facebrook page and spread the word to local media. It worked for the East Stroudsburg station it can happen down there
  by glennk419

northjerseybuff wrote:It worked for the East Stroudsburg station it can happen down there
Didn't that just get torn down?
  by CJPat

David wrote:The same old complaints that have been stated here on New Jersey Railfan, for at least two years continue. Nothing new is being said. It sounds like a bunch of you will have heart attacks if trains do not run!
To paraphrase Johnny Cash -

I hear the Lock a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,
  by northjerseybuff

It was saved due to a community outpouring and support...but this is getting off topic. I am vacationing in Wildwood and would love to ride the rails. Just ain't happening. To those who know Macrie. Why is everything top secret? Why wouldn't he want the reasons for not running out there? Communication is key whether pos or neg IMHO.
I am hearing rumblings that the mayor of Buena Vista(Richland) is not happy with no trains running this summer either...
  by David

CJPat wrote: To paraphrase Johnny Cash -

I hear the Lock a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,

LOL--Good one Pat--Maybe I will try German next time.
  by SemperFidelis

northjerseybuff wrote:. Why is everything top secret?
There are very few businesses that offer much information on their internal workings/challenges to the public.

Directed at no one in particular:

In case anyone hasn't noticed: With more and more people being taught that opinion should be treated as fact as long as you agree with that opinion it is kind of hard to say anything these days without someone taking things out of context. Mr. Macrie has said nothing, and look at how much has been said and assumed because of that silence.

Can anyone imagine what would happen if Mr. Macrie were to come out and say "The problem is X. We think the solution might be Y, but we need some help from the public with variable Z"?

This is the new America, the one dominated by the above mentioned people who love copying their armchair commando heroes on the airwaves by dressing whorish opinion in the coverings of virtuous fact, so before the words had disappeared into the salt air of the Cape someone would be on here saying "X isn't a problem. Tony's lying about X. And Y? Why on Earth would he think that Y was a solution? The solution isn't Y! The solution is a simplistic platitude about what it takes to run a business. I am of the opinion (even though I am in no way an expert on this) that A, B and C would be much better solutions. Oh, and by the way I can't make it down to the public meeting about Z or even bother to turn off my TV long enough to pick up a pen and write a letter to Congressman D or Congresswoman R about how much Z would mean to me."

Am I wrong?
  by northjerseybuff

You are correct semperfidelis..the only thing I would add/ask is what changed from the AC press article? stating trains would run mid-summer/july? and why the website still proclaims

ARRIVING SOON!

THE NEW "SEASHORE LINES 2010 TIMETABLE!"
CHECK BACK FOR FURTHER DETAILS!

Unless a train runs before labor day, they missed peak tourism. Or is the plan to run in the fall? either way update fans/customers or post something that it won't run at all this year. the statement above indicates something will run..leading to our questions
  by David

SemperFidelis wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:. Why is everything top secret?
There are very few businesses that offer much information on their internal workings/challenges to the public.

Directed at no one in particular:

In case anyone hasn't noticed: With more and more people being taught that opinion should be treated as fact as long as you agree with that opinion it is kind of hard to say anything these days without someone taking things out of context. Mr. Macrie has said nothing, and look at how much has been said and assumed because of that silence.

Can anyone imagine what would happen if Mr. Macrie were to come out and say "The problem is X. We think the solution might be Y, but we need some help from the public with variable Z"?

This is the new America, the one dominated by the above mentioned people who love copying their armchair commando heroes on the airwaves by dressing whorish opinion in the coverings of virtuous fact, so before the words had disappeared into the salt air of the Cape someone would be on here saying "X isn't a problem. Tony's lying about X. And Y? Why on Earth would he think that Y was a solution? The solution isn't Y! The solution is a simplistic platitude about what it takes to run a business. I am of the opinion (even though I am in no way an expert on this) that A, B and C would be much better solutions. Oh, and by the way I can't make it down to the public meeting about Z or even bother to turn off my TV long enough to pick up a pen and write a letter to Congressman D or Congresswoman R about how much Z would mean to me."

Am I wrong?
Well said SemperFidelis----I hope that most people on this thread understand your words.
  by David

northjerseybuff wrote:You are correct semperfidelis..the only thing I would add/ask is what changed from the AC press article? stating trains would run mid-summer/july?

Situations change--Only a selected few, like in most businesses, have the privileged to know the facts not available to the masses.