• Canadian Trips 1999/2000

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by erielackawanna

I used to do a lot of business in Canada and would have at least three to four biz trips there a year. Although most of them didn't involve any railfanning, I occasionally had a camera with me when I saw something. Thought I'd share two of my favorite images from back then.

The Northlander leaving Toronto Union after ending its sb run and unloading passengers.

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=824638

What I think was CP RS1 coming back to Williston in Vancouver with two different phases of the CP scheme on its rebuilt GEEPS (can anyone confirm if this was RS1?)

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=824640

Thanks for looking. Please let me know if I made any mistakes. Scanning these pics I realized how much I really want to visit again.

by graftonterminalrr

The CP engines are GP9u's (upgraded GP9's).

They were rebuilt in the early 80's from the original high-nose GP9 fleet. The 567 engines all use 645 power assemblies but keep their original HP rating. The low nose in front is for visibility during switching moves.

Both CN and CP never had an RS1, although CN came close with some GTW units, the last RS1's built.

by erielackawanna

graftonterminalrr wrote:The CP engines are GP9u's (upgraded GP9's).

They were rebuilt in the early 80's from the original high-nose GP9 fleet. The 567 engines all use 645 power assemblies but keep their original HP rating. The low nose in front is for visibility during switching moves.

Both CN and CP never had an RS1, although CN came close with some GTW units, the last RS1's built.
Thanks for this... great info on the rebuilds. The RS1 refered to in the picture is not an engine model. It's the symbol of the Coquitlam Turn.

by graftonterminalrr

Whoops - my mistake. I had misunderstood - thought you were asking if they were RS1's. Guess I have some egg on my face! :-D

by erielackawanna

graftonterminalrr wrote:Whoops - my mistake. I had misunderstood - thought you were asking if they were RS1's. Guess I have some egg on my face! :-D
Not at all... very easy mistake to make... and the info on the rebuilds was really great. Thanks again.