• Canadian Ditch Lights

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by ns2110

When were ditch lights mandated by the Canadian Government? I was looking at pictures of some old Alcos and I noticed that most had ditch lights. I know alot of their Alcos lasted well into the 90s, but it wasn't until almost 2000 that all mainline locomotives had to have ditch lights here. Thanks in advance.

by Ken V

Ditch lights were a requirement in Canada for passenger (except for Amtrak with working strobe lights) and high-speed freight lead locomotives by September 1986. So, photos from anytime in the 1990's would show this.

by ENR3870

CN and PGE/BC Rail experimented with ditch lights in the late 1960's to early 1970's. However it wasn't until a nasty accident on CP in the late 1970's that the government began requiring ditch lights on all locomotives. Ken, that date would explain why all the photos I've seen of the VIA/E&N RDC's show having Mars Lights until 1985.

by MACTRAXX

I will say this about ditch lights:This is one of the modern improvements that was done for safety's sake and in my opinion was one of the better railroading safety features done in recent years. It took tragic rail accidents in the US and Canada for them to become mandatory.In railroading as in other transportation,good visibility is the key! MACTRAXX

by Dieter

Anybody know when the large floods were first put on the REAR of CN cabooses?