• Can I go by train Orlando to Tampa

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

My brother and I had planned to take the Eurostar in September 2008, but a fire in one of the tunnels resulted in greatly reduced service, and we ended up taking a ferry instead. Even had the fire not happened, we were caught off guard when we learned that despite having both British and French Eurail passes, the Eurostar falls under neither and we would have had to pay full fare! I think the ferry is probably a cheaper option, so I'm not surprised that the ferries remain popular.
  by george matthews

Matt Johnson wrote:My brother and I had planned to take the Eurostar in September 2008, but a fire in one of the tunnels resulted in greatly reduced service, and we ended up taking a ferry instead. Even had the fire not happened, we were caught off guard when we learned that despite having both British and French Eurail passes, the Eurostar falls under neither and we would have had to pay full fare! I think the ferry is probably a cheaper option, so I'm not surprised that the ferries remain popular.
There is a railpass fare on Eurostar.
http://www.seat61.com/London-Paris-train.htm

When I have an Amtrak pass, I have to pay extra for Acela or for sleepers (I have used neither).
I think it's a pity Eurostar can't arrange an intermediate service if the tunnel is out of use (rare). A train to Ashford could be high speed and then a bus via the ferry with a resumption of the train in Calais. In the early years of the tunnel Southeastern Railway had a bus service from Ashford to Calais combined with a train from Charing Cross or Victoria. But they didn't advertise it. I heard about it on compuserve's train forum.