• Call for bathrooms on River Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by PullmanCo

According to businessmen in Burlington (adjacent to the Towne Centre station), passengers of the former C&A light rail conversion are using inappropriate locations for relief. (FTR, SEPTA's R7, which runs parallel on the other side of the Delaware River, has no on-board restrooms, but may have more bathrooms at stations.)

PhillyBurbs.com: Bucks County Courier Times
Lack of restroom causes a problem

By: DAVID MACCAR
Bucks County Courier Times

BURLINGTON CITY - Business owners and residents are disturbed and disgusted by individuals relieving themselves in public in the area of the River Line Station at Broad and High streets and at several bus stops.

They made their feelings known at the last City Council meeting, highlighting what they called a persistent problem.

Attorney George Hulse, whose firm has an office at 406 High St. that is connected to the historic Metropolitan Inn at the corner of Broad and High, said people he believes to be light-rail customers have used the rear of his building to urinate and even defecate.

"I've had my office there since 1985. In that time period we have sustained a regular - I want to use the word 'ignorable' - use of the back of our building + as a public toilet," Hulse said. "With the advent of the light-rail line, where people are invited to essentially congregate and wait for the use of trains, there's a need for toilet facilities and the city + or the transit authority haven't provided them."

Hulse said he has vented his anger at those he's caught but that the problem is getting worse, even during the day.

"I had to call the police two weeks ago. I asked whoever appeared to send a report to the administrator + Now that is really disgusting, it's offensive, but it's chronic," Hulse told council members and the city administrator.

NJ Transit spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett said the River Line has bathroom facilities only at its terminals in Camden and Trenton.

"We haven't received any information from council people about this, stating that (the offenders) are River Line customers," Hackett said.

Police Chief John Lazzarotti said problems with people relieving themselves in the area are nothing new and that officers make regular patrols.

"We have a downtown patrol that does more than just mark tires (for parking tickets). If we see someone breaking a law or violating an ordinance, we issue a summons," Lazzarotti said. "We have, in the past, issued people summonses for urinating or relieving themselves."

Ray Williams, maintenance manager of the Metropolitan Inn, which is owned by Pennrose Properties, could not be reached for comment.

Mayor James Fazzone acknowledged that the problem exists and said the city's Tourism Center, located on the first floor of the Metropolitan Inn building, is staffed regularly and has two bathrooms available to the public.

"Anyone who made those statements is correct. Anyone you talk to will tell you that's an issue," said Fazzone, who did not attend the council meeting.

"In addition to (the Tourism Center), we have to take it another step or a few steps further and that may involve longer hours at the Tourism Center and/or we may want to put some type of lavatory facility in that parking lot area (across from the station)," Fazzone said. "That could involve portables and I can't rule out that we would look at a more permanent facility with plumbing."

Frank Caruso, with the Albert V. Jaskol Agency at 467 High St., said he has experienced the same public nuisance and more near a bus stop where he works.

"During the day, the evening, it doesn't matter. There's trespassing, people using the back of my building as a public bathroom, consumption of alcohol in the alley," Caruso said before asking the council if plans for a future transportation center in the city were still on the table.

"Bus stops will be a part of the review of the master plan," Council President Doug Ghaul said, noting that several similar complaints were made from residents and business people around the city's bus stops, including the First Baptist Church at Broad and Stacy streets.

"After the first of the year, we will be having a conference to address some of the issues at the bus stops," Ghaul said. "We have to have the bus companies come in to figure out what we can do to eliminate that problem, whether it means we eliminate some stops or go to a transportation hub."

Fazzone reminded residents that the City Council is a legislative body and not responsible for the enforcement of ordinances. He said complaints should be addressed to the mayor or Business Administrator Eric Berry.

December 08, 2009 02:02 AM
  by Patrick Boylan

I hadn't been paying attention before, and I don't know who put them up, but 7:20 this morning I noticed 2 portable toilets in the municipal short term parking lot at Burlington Town Center station. Their doors face away from the platform, so I didn't see if they were locked
  by Patrick Boylan

Burlington County Times Sun Dec 13 says the mayor had the 2 portable toilets put in the parking lot. I checked this morning, they were unlocked.
  by Mirai Zikasu

Considering that the River Line has been operating for nearly six years now, I have a hard time believing that people relieving themselves in public is just now becoming a problem. Even if it is, there's not exactly much room or provisions to install bathrooms at most River Line stations--like Burlington--and there's certainly no room to install them on the LRVs. It sounds to me that there is a problem with manners in Burlington especially considering the number of businesses around High Street which I'm sure have a few public bathrooms, and the best way to deal with the problem would be for the local police to increase penalties for people caught relieving themselves (tickets with fines, imprisonment for indecent exposure, forced castration with a rusty knife, or something similarly reasonable) and for the business owner in the story to invest in some bleach for his building's back alley.
  by Tritransit Area

Interesting! I think a transportation center in Burlington would actually be a nice thing. I like the Tourism Center's way of thinking though....PROVIDE RESTROOMS SO THAT PEOPLE WON'T PEE ON THE DOOR/WALL etc! The next thing to do is actually publicize this so that people can use it as a bathroom spot.

Yes, there are businesses with restrooms, but 9 times out of 10 you have to buy something, as the restrooms are available only for customers. I always am amused when someone turns someone away or locks the bathrooms (opening them only for paying customers), because I must wonder "would you rather I relieve my self in the toilet or on your front stoop? When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

I mean, there will always be trifling people out there. However, I won't support boosted enforcement unless there are more full time FREE facilities for the public to use.
  by SouthJersey7

They should bring back the Pissoir.
  by TREnecNYP

Single unit toilets (lockable door opens onto one toilet & sink) that have been successfully placed in all manner of public places, including state parks, fairgrounds, near beaches would fix this issue. Made out of masonry & durable plumbing & fixtures it would work for River LINE and SEPTA stations.

- A
  by bikentransit

Last place we need a toilet is on the train!
  by Tadman

Two words:
GARDEN
HOSE

Have someone keep an eye on the back of the building for a day or two. Person "A" goes up to take a leak. Person "B' hoses person "A". Person "C" films it and puts it on youtube (obviously video take from behind person "A"). After a few times of that, I bet it stops pretty quick.
  by HBLR

I feel there should also be bathrooms looked into for several HBLR stations. Not all need them, because some stations are located near other buildings that have restrooms. I'd want one at 8th st, 22nd st, bergenline ave, and west side ave. The rest are close enough to other places that you have at least some option. Wouldn't want them at some stations like the cruise terminal, might invite crime, and Essex street is too small as is jersey ave and 9th st.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.