• Cajon Pass, California

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by NSWGR49

Hi,

Just joined the forums and found this topic.

Other than the stack trains and Amtrak trains, what other train run over Cajon Pass?

A mate and myself are heading over from Australia around September/ October next year to photograph Cajon and Tehatchipi Pass.

Thanks for the interesting reading so far!

Cheers
Tim

by pennsy

Howdy Mate,

You will also find from time to time standard freight train consists of all sorts of boxcars, tank cars, reefers etc. etc. NO Cabeese. And from time to time you might just catch an excursion train. This would be passenger cars of some vintage, hauled by a real live steamer. We have seen # 4449, # 3751, # 3985, and # 844 on Cajon Pass. They are usually accompanied by loads of spectators, helicopters, and wall to wall cameras of all sorts. The sounds are worth recording as well.

Really good spot for observation, photography, etc. would be from the sides of Interstate 15 Freeway. This would be most easily accomplished by the commercial sidings, where there are fuel stations, etc.

by farmerjohn

lol, reading all these post make me realise what I take for granted. I go offroading in that area all the time!. Know where you can race right along next to the tracks and its all legal. Tons of hidden spots in that area.
I thought the east coast would have us beat on having the best railroad spots.
:-D

by The S.P. Caboose

I've seen a lot of traffic in a short period of time in Cajon Pass.

This is, I believe, BNSF's only way in and out of southern California. Union Pacific has a couple other ways in and out of the area.

Both roads tend to run quit a bit of traffic thtu Cajon.

by conrail_engineer

pennsy wrote:Hi,

So far all you said is normal. What isn't normal is when you get to Summit, you will find the whole thing gated and well patrolled with RR security. I guess they think you will steal the tracks.
I'm speaking of this as someone who used to test rail on Cajon...before I hired with Conrail, I was with Sperry and assigned between L.A. and Barstow.

The area you describe is gated and locked because there had been a LOT of uncontrolled vandalism from "undocumented" persons on the lam and headed north. Trains used to come up slowly; and these types knew to pull a cutting lever if the slack ran in.

I believe they had some crew robberies and assaults...guess these guys are like anyone else, they know they'll want some walking-around money once they get to L.A. (Drivers' license and Social Security card help, too...)

When I was there, if I remember, they were just erecting the fence. They'd tried high-intensity lights that would come on when the block was occupied; but like other creatures of the night, they adapted to those. The fence was the next progressive attack on the problem.

The bulls aren't so nice there because in their experience, most of the people they find are BAD NEWS. Not saying Mexicans are all bad; but the ones who aren't shy about violating all sorts of laws to cross into Los Angeles are mostly not choirboys.