Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Head-end View

Kamen Rider wrote:unfortunitly, the program MUST be implemented by the time the R188 order is completed, The Corona's 62s are going back to the mainline IRT to replace the cars getting the CBTC upgrade and I don't think the mainline shop crews and train crews are in the mood to deal with them in thier present configuration
Ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!.........."Mood"? Well after what PATH did to us with the PA-5's I'm not in the "mood" to lose the last really good front window view in the NYC Subway System. BTW Kamen, (seriously) when is the R-188 order expected to be completed, just so I have a rough projected time-line?
  by Kamen Rider

As I've said in the past, the front view out the trains is a luxury, not a right.

The first R188 trains will be online by the time the 34th street extension opens in a year and a half. the bulk of the order will start arriving by that time. The MTA wants the flushing CBTC online by 2016. So at best you've got 2 to 3 years.
  by Head-end View

You are correct Kamen. And as I've said before, although paying the fare only entitles us to a ride, and not necessarily a view, it's very hard to swallow the loss of something you've had for 50 years.

And thanks for the update.
  by Kamen Rider

Things come and things go. C'est la vie....
  by Head-end View

LOL With apologies for being off-topic, Kamen, I don't think Twinkies are going to disappear. Some smart company sensing the opportunity for a good profit will take over that product line. You'll see!
  by Head-end View

Rode the express to Flushing this afternoon. All trains that I saw are still running corner-cabs on the Flushing end. Amen.........
  by Head-end View

Well now..........I've just heard rumor that the master-plan has changed. Supposedly now they are going to retain the "quarter-cabs" on the Flushing end after all, though the one "non-linked" car will still be sandwiched between two five-car sets. Can any knowlegable person among us confirm or deny the authenticity of what I've heard? If true, it will be welcome news.
  by railfan365

Head-end View wrote:Well now..........I've just heard rumor that the master-plan has changed. Supposedly now they are going to retain the "quarter-cabs" on the Flushing end after all, though the one "non-linked" car will still be sandwiched between two five-car sets. Can any knowlegable person among us confirm or deny the authenticity of what I've heard? If true, it will be welcome news.
I was on the Queensboro line today for the first time in several months. Every train that I saw consisted of 2 5 car sets, with a single in the middle to make 11 cars. The 5 car set at the Manhattan end has a fully functional full width cab at each end and disabled corner cabs in between. The other 5 car set has all corner cabs, although all but the end ones have had the brake handle mount removed.
  by Fan Railer

railfan365 wrote:
Head-end View wrote:Well now..........I've just heard rumor that the master-plan has changed. Supposedly now they are going to retain the "quarter-cabs" on the Flushing end after all, though the one "non-linked" car will still be sandwiched between two five-car sets. Can any knowlegable person among us confirm or deny the authenticity of what I've heard? If true, it will be welcome news.
I was on the Queensboro line today for the first time in several months. Every train that I saw consisted of 2 5 car sets, with a single in the middle to make 11 cars. The 5 car set at the Manhattan end has a fully functional full width cab at each end and disabled corner cabs in between. The other 5 car set has all corner cabs, although all but the end ones have had the brake handle mount removed.
They've been running like that for a few months now, ever since the R62A SMS was completed. I might note that there are also a few Manhattan bound railfan windows out there as well. Look for cars around the 16xx range.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Fan Railer wrote:
railfan365 wrote:I was on the Queensboro line today for the first time in several months. Every train that I saw consisted of 2 5 car sets, with a single in the middle to make 11 cars. The 5 car set at the Manhattan end has a fully functional full width cab at each end and disabled corner cabs in between. The other 5 car set has all corner cabs, although all but the end ones have had the brake handle mount removed.
They've been running like that for a few months now, ever since the R62A SMS was completed. I might note that there are also a few Manhattan bound railfan windows out there as well. Look for cars around the 16xx range.
1651 is one of them.
  by Head-end View

I rode the #7 yesterday for the first time since last July 2013. There have been some changes. I saw several trains running with full-cabs on the Flushing end, so regrettably it looks like that conversion plan is proceeding. I also saw one R-188 train in passenger service, couldn't see the cab set-up. The noose around the railfan community's neck continues to tighten.........
  by railfan365

I'm hoping that this question is not too far off topic: Among the R-199's, will each "C" car have an automatic coupler at each end for ease of putting it between 2 five car sets, or will it have semi-permanent links for working it into a six car set?
  by Fan Railer

railfan365 wrote:I'm hoping that this question is not too far off topic: Among the R-199's, will each "C" car have an automatic coupler at each end for ease of putting it between 2 five car sets, or will it have semi-permanent links for working it into a six car set?
semi-permanent link bars.
  by Kamen Rider

R188s are in fixed sets of 5 and 6. While being able to remove the C car makes sense on paper, in practice not so much.
  by Gerry6309

Equipment on the 7 has always migrated to other routes. Six car sets may force those trains to live on the 7 permanently, since no other shop will have 6 car lifts. Sort of like 60 foot versus 75 foot cars on the IND/BMT lines. Of course CBTC will be the other limiting factor.