• Cab cars

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Frank

With the former Metroliner Cab cars due for retirement, what are they going to replace them with? Don't the need cab cars for the Keystone train and the Springfield shuttle?
  by DutchRailnut

cab cars are part of standard desighn of new coaches etc see:
http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Pages/DocsSpecs.aspx
and click on single level specifications.

cab car design is on page 227
  by electricron

There was talk of converting some AEM7s into cab cars as they were replaced by new electric locomotives. I'm not sure that plan is still in the works or not, but converting them would significantly reduce the number of new cab cars required now, if only delaying purchasing new cab cars for a decade or so.

What I'm trying to suggest is that Amtrak has many options available to it to facilitate retiring those old cab cars.
  by DutchRailnut

the AEM-7 cab/bagage units would have been for NEC/harrisburg only.
the cab cars are for general service nation wide.
  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:the AEM-7 cab/bagage units would have been for NEC/harrisburg only.
Once The Midwest California Superliner order is filled, how many single level "corridor" cab cars will be needed in general national wide service? My answer would be None! Any existing NPTU cabbage units would suffice.

Do you really believe Amtrak is going to slap on a single level cab car onto double level trains that have double level cab cars available?
  by DutchRailnut

Then your opinion really does not count, I leave it to Amtrak officials to make determinations on equipment needs....
  by 25Hz

electricron wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:the AEM-7 cab/bagage units would have been for NEC/harrisburg only.
Once The Midwest California Superliner order is filled, how many single level "corridor" cab cars will be needed in general national wide service? My answer would be None! Any existing NPTU cabbage units would suffice.

Do you really believe Amtrak is going to slap on a single level cab car onto double level trains that have double level cab cars available?
As long as they have a transition car it wouldn't be an issue.
  by 25Hz

DutchRailnut wrote:cab cars are part of standard desighn of new coaches etc see:
http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Pages/DocsSpecs.aspx
and click on single level specifications.

cab car design is on page 227
I find it interesting that the single level cab front end there is all most identical to the current de-motored metroliner cabs.
  by AMTKHawkeye

If I'm understanding your comment correctly - moving the existing NPCUs built from F40PH units to corridor trains - that will not work due to the clearance in the tunnels in and out of New York Penn Station.

As well, the impression I have been getting is that the former F40PH NPCUs are difficult to keep in good order, and I do know firsthand that they are very uncomfortable to ride, with a lot of hard side-to-side action on switches, diamonds, etc. I'm of the opinion that they have served a purpose for a while, but it's time to look to phase them out with new car orders.
  by DutchRailnut

25Hz wrote:
electricron wrote:

why would they need transition car, most of new cabcars will be bagage area and if the locomotive were up front there would not be a transition car , so you loose 25 or so seats, big woopdydoo.

as for those NPCU's made out of old F40's !, they would be over 50 years old when first cabcars are being delivered, and most definitvly at the end of any usefull life.
  by 25Hz

DutchRailnut wrote:
25Hz wrote:
electricron wrote:

why would they need transition car, most of new cabcars will be bagage area and if the locomotive were up front there would not be a transition car , so you loose 25 or so seats, big woopdydoo.

as for those NPCU's made out of old F40's !, they would be over 50 years old when first cabcars are being delivered, and most definitvly at the end of any usefull life.
I was just thinking of easy car to car access if a single level cab was used leading with superliners.
  by DutchRailnut

but who cares what you think ? again it would only affect 25 or so seats, but the single level cab cars can and will be used with superliners and without transition cars.
  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:but who cares what you think ? again it would only affect 25 or so seats, but the single level cab cars can and will be used with superliners and without transition cars.
I'm getting tired of you using that "Who cares what you think?" line!

I asked an honest question that deserves an answer, not ignored?

Fact #1 > States subsidizing Amtrak are buying over 130 brand new California Superliner cars. I expect 20-25% of them to have cabs.
Source = http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.p ... -on-order/
Fact #2 > Of the 66 existing corridor California Superliner cars, 16 have cabs. That's 24% of them.
Source = http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster ... California

My Question #1 > Why would Amtrak ever need new single level cab cars west of the Appalachian Mountains?
  by DutchRailnut

so don't read my post simple as that..
  by ThirdRail7

electricron wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:but who cares what you think ? again it would only affect 25 or so seats, but the single level cab cars can and will be used with superliners and without transition cars.
I'm getting tired of you using that "Who cares what you think?" line!
[/url]

My Question #1 > Why would Amtrak ever need new single level cab cars west of the Appalachian Mountains?
DutchRailnut wrote:so don't read my post simple as that..