Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

There are a few, but they only work when the train is in E-mode.
  by jackintosh11

When are the trains usually in E mode and where are the outlets? Why do they only work in E mode?
  by Amtrak7

There's a few outlets across from the bathroom, but they have big warning signs on them saying 220 Volts.
  by TrainPhotos

I would not use an outlet that has power coming off a DC feed via locomotive. I've used them on other transit systems, but typically I'd think the current wasn't very stable regardless...
  by Backshophoss

The C-3's were built before the "smartphones" exisited. :( :(
  by CNJGeep

SwingMan wrote:There are a few, but they only work when the train is in E-mode.
Man, good thing magic was there to charge my phone when I had it plugged in from KO to GY in February with a DE leading...
  by mvb119

CNJGeep wrote:
Man, good thing magic was there to charge my phone when I had it plugged in from KO to GY in February with a DE leading...
Still not a good idea whether they work or not, they are there for the coach cleaners so they can plug in vacuums, not sensitive electronics like computers, tablets and phones. It is dirty power. The outlets on Amtrak trains are designed specifically for the purpose of plugging phones and computers into. On a regular commuter train, the HEP isn't perfect and those outlets have no filtering, so you get lots of voltage spikes and sags that damage electronics.
  by NYCrails

mvb119 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
Still not a good idea whether they work or not, they are there for the coach cleaners so they can plug in vacuums, not sensitive electronics like computers, tablets and phones. It is dirty power. The outlets on Amtrak trains are designed specifically for the purpose of plugging phones and computers into. On a regular commuter train, the HEP isn't perfect and those outlets have no filtering, so you get lots of voltage spikes and sags that damage electronics.
There are no Cams using vacuums on these trains.
  by Morisot

Ummm, how about fully charging before you leave home or the office.
  by SwingMan

CNJGeep wrote:

I should have rephrased it to say when in E-mode and when there is a limited amount of HEP available. On a 6 car train, or a 3 car train for that matter, you aren't going to get sustainable juice. A one car train is a little different.
  by northpit

Is it possible to plug in toaster ovens? I like to make grill cheese sandwiches in between trips
  by GirlOnTheTrain

jackintosh11 wrote:If you bring a surge protector, would it be safe?
Spend $10 on a portable charger. No outlet hunting required.
  by nyandw

naugatroll wrote:Spend $10 on a portable charger. No outlet hunting required.
Yup...great advice. :-) More bandwidth waste...IMO