Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.

by Tony T.

Thanks for posting this Rick. I also wanted to know, now that the Walthers HO cars have such a nice appearance, except the interior's color. My older brother and I used to ride near the end of services, and he remembers blue mainly ( I was too young to remember such details). Except I do remember the linoleum floors were tan and brownish-red, or tan and light blue.
  by william powers

try the C&O historical society.. they have a big on-line site and a huge archive as well as a slick monthly newsletter that often covers such things. Ill bet their photo archive has information on the interiors.. they also have a few C&O cars in various states of preservation

by LI Loco

The book "Chesapeake & Ohio Passenger Cars in Color" by Harry Stegmaier, (TLC Publishing, Lynchburg, VA, 2001) has several interior shots.

Streamlined sleeping cars had light green wall with red upholstery. Curtains were a red and white print.

Streamlined dining cars, such as # 1920, appeared to have light green side walls, tan bulkhead walls, red leather seat upholstery, black, white, brown & gray diamond print curtains and black or dark blue floors. Couldn't tell if they were carpeted or linoleum.

Coaches had red linoeum floors with white four-pointed stars and white stripes running next to the seats, which had olive green upholstery. The walls were tan and green. The cars also had the same curtains as the dining cars.