Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by railfilm

Dear Friends

some week ago I visited the Baltimor Museum and saw there this locomotive.
I found on the firebox some interesting items, can somebody tell me whath these things were for? I newer saw such devices on any other machine yet.

Thank you!

by GC&EShay12

I've been meaing to get with you. I work at the COHS in Clifton Forge. And an answer to that question is. There overjets for the Smoke consumer. The smoke consumer were used int cities and yards That didnt want black smoke. The C&O H6 1300-1309 had them along with some of the H8 Alleghanies. Other roads used them as well. There is a page on the internet that shows a picture and explains how they worked.

Scott

by railfilm

Hi Scott

thank you for your explanation. Can you post some of those links. I found one just with the description but no pictures.

From Baltimore museum they told me, those things are for the secondary steam pressure valves.

Thank you