• Buying an HO scale model train from Europe

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by peanut1

Hello,
This might be a very wierd question for me to ask on the forum. I am thinking about buying a European style high speed train for my HO scale layout. If I decide to do it there are two questions I have to ask before I make my final decision:

1) Are European style cars compatible with my current track? I currently run Bachmann track with the gray base.

2) Is OO gauge the same as HO gauge? A lot of the sets I looked at on the computer look like there HO, but on the box shown in the picture it says OO on it.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help me out.
  by Sir Ray

peanut1 wrote:Are European style cars compatible with my current track? I currently run Bachmann track with the gray base.
Possibly, couplers may be a problem depending on what manufacturer you are getting the trains from. Also, note Marklin sells a 3-rail AC system (small contracts in the track), unsuitable for normal North American US DC/DCC 2 rail operation (if you plan on using the power-car in the set - if only using unpowered cars, it doesn't matter much).
Is OO gauge the same as HO gauge? A lot of the sets I looked at on the computer look like there HO, but on the box shown in the picture it says OO on it.
Not really, OO is nominally 1:76 scale and HO is nominally 1:87 scale, BUT, OO trains can run on HO scale track (due to historical reasons concerning the small size of British locomotives vs. the size of electric motors at the time). OO, as you may have seen, is most popular in the UK. Continental Europe (e.g. Germany) tends to go with HO scale of the two (of course, N scale is popular there also).
  by peanut1

Sir Ray wrote:
peanut1 wrote:Are European style cars compatible with my current track? I currently run Bachmann track with the gray base.
Possibly, couplers may be a problem depending on what manufacturer you are getting the trains from. Also, note Marklin sells a 3-rail AC system (small contracts in the track), unsuitable for normal North American US DC/DCC 2 rail operation (if you plan on using the power-car in the set - if only using unpowered cars, it doesn't matter much).
Is OO gauge the same as HO gauge? A lot of the sets I looked at on the computer look like there HO, but on the box shown in the picture it says OO on it.
Not really, OO is nominally 1:76 scale and HO is nominally 1:87 scale, BUT, OO trains can run on HO scale track (due to historical reasons concerning the small size of British locomotives vs. the size of electric motors at the time). OO, as you may have seen, is most popular in the UK. Continental Europe (e.g. Germany) tends to go with HO scale of the two (of course, N scale is popular there also).
I was gunna go with Hornby trains, they had a nice high speed train set that I thought look pretty sharp. I don't know if Hornby would fall under the category of the problem with DCC. I don't have DCC on my layout, but I would probably get it in the future.
  by peanut1

Here's what the train I'm interested in looks like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Sir Ray

That looks like the Blue Rapier set - seems to be OO, so it would be a bit larger than HO scale (well, ~12%). Can't tell if that train is DCC only, but it should be 12V DC (don't worry about the Marklin 3Rail AC, not applicable here).
Heh, can't read the fine print on the box, it's generic Lorem Ipsum text.
Well, GBP95 isn't bad at current conversion rates, but you sure you want that?

Edit:OK, I did a little research starting from the RMWeb board
First, here's a multi-page discussion from another Brit board.
As far as I can gather, there is two levels of quality for these Hitachi EMU 395 models - the Blue Rapier set (packaged as the train set) supposedly lacks interiors, and has a less powerful motor. The Javelin is the better quality model apparently, and consequently is more expensive.
Again, these are OO gauge models, do you want that on your HO scale layout?
Last edited by Sir Ray on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by peanut1

I am still doing my reserch on this set. It's similar to the blue set. If you don't mind I have no problem with you checking with the guys on the UK forum. That would be great before I waste the money. Thank you Sir Ray.
  by peanut1

Sir Ray wrote:That looks like the Blue Rapier set - seems to be OO, so it would be a bit larger than HO scale (well, ~12%). Can't tell if that train is DCC only, but it should be 12V DC (don't worry about the Marklin 3Rail AC, not applicable here).
Heh, can't read the fine print on the box, it's generic Lorem Ipsum text.
Well, GBP95 isn't bad at current conversion rates, but you sure you want that?

Edit:OK, I did a little research starting from the RMWeb board
First, here's a multi-page discussion from another Brit board.
As far as I can gather, there is two levels of quality for these Hitachi EMU 395 models - the Blue Rapier set (packaged as the train set) supposedly lacks interiors, and has a less powerful motor. The Javelin is the better quality model apparently, and consequently is more expensive.
Again, these are OO gauge models, do you want that on your HO scale layout?
Uuh, I'm not sure yet. I'm only 18 years old and need a job first before I can give a definate yes. I will continue to do reserch. I'm pretty sure I will purchase it. I will probably go for the nicer set. It maybe a little big, but over the summer once myself and my parents move to our new house, I will be redoing my entire layout track plan. I will keeep the scale in mind. I appreciate your help tremendously as I don't know that much on international trains. Thanks again. =)
  by peanut1

Sir Ray,
Forgot to mention this in the above post. I checked how much the set that I want cost and the Blue rapier set. The set I want is $220 in american dollars. Blue rapier is $135. I think I might go with blue rapier, as it's cheaper. I looked at some photos and the interrior looks fine. Althought I read the forum you gave me the link to, it seems it got bad reviews. I will see what happens. Thanks again.
  by Cadet57

peanut1 wrote:Sir Ray,
Forgot to mention this in the above post. I checked how much the set that I want cost and the Blue rapier set. The set I want is $220 in american dollars. Blue rapier is $135. I think I might go with blue rapier, as it's cheaper. I looked at some photos and the interrior looks fine. Althought I read the forum you gave me the link to, it seems it got bad reviews. I will see what happens. Thanks again.
If you plan to import a train from the UK may I suggest Hattons. They are a great store to buy from and very easy to deal with. Also they're prices are very good, even with an exchange rate.

www.ehattons.com
  by scharnhorst

I my self would like to get my hands on some H.O. Scale Russian diesel Locomotives but can't find anyone who is making them out side of one operation in the UK but there is no way to contact him or any product lists photos or price lists.
  by Petz

scharnhorst wrote:I my self would like to get my hands on some H.O. Scale Russian diesel Locomotives but can't find anyone who is making them out side of one operation in the UK but there is no way to contact him or any product lists photos or price lists.
I´m a big fan of russian diesel locos but interestingly i was able to find any production of the russian model diesel locos in Russia or other eastern european states so it seems that model railroading in Russia obviously is no theme at all...:-(

One possibility is to wait for the next production run from the very nice american guy Chris White
http://www.redstarrailways.com/zavod.asp
who produces a few locomotives based at mechanotecnika underframes and gear. His locos are rather cheap for the combination of industrial underframe and handmade shell but based at the poor mechano technics the drive is not the best at all but still worth the price. I have bought one 2TE10U loco set last year from Chris, really enjoy the view and will buy the TEM2 too as soon as it will available. I have replaced the origin Mabuchi motor against a bigger and much slower turning Bühler 013944 type for better operation; generally using the great MRC Tech2 transformers i got a proper running of the locomotive pair.
But "hardcore modellers" ;-) better should replace the drive and underframe against one from a used Gützold V200 or Roco M62 locomotive for a class 1 operation.

Another but more expensive way would be the austrian producer Roco:
Model SZD M62
http://www.roco.cc/produkteshop/uebersi ... r-szd.html

Model SZD TE109
http://www.roco.cc/produkteshop/uebersi ... r-rzd.html

Hope this helps you a little.
  by scharnhorst

Petz wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:I my self would like to get my hands on some H.O. Scale Russian diesel Locomotives but can't find anyone who is making them out side of one operation in the UK but there is no way to contact him or any product lists photos or price lists.
I´m a big fan of russian diesel locos but interestingly i was able to find any production of the russian model diesel locos in Russia or other eastern european states so it seems that model railroading in Russia obviously is no theme at all...:-(

One possibility is to wait for the next production run from the very nice american guy Chris White
http://www.redstarrailways.com/zavod.asp
who produces a few locomotives based at mechanotecnika underframes and gear. His locos are rather cheap for the combination of industrial underframe and handmade shell but based at the poor mechano technics the drive is not the best at all but still worth the price. I have bought one 2TE10U loco set last year from Chris, really enjoy the view and will buy the TEM2 too as soon as it will available. I have replaced the origin Mabuchi motor against a bigger and much slower turning Bühler 013944 type for better operation; generally using the great MRC Tech2 transformers i got a proper running of the locomotive pair.
But "hardcore modellers" ;-) better should replace the drive and underframe against one from a used Gützold V200 or Roco M62 locomotive for a class 1 operation.

Another but more expensive way would be the austrian producer Roco:
Model SZD M62
http://www.roco.cc/produkteshop/uebersi ... r-szd.html

Model SZD TE109
http://www.roco.cc/produkteshop/uebersi ... r-rzd.html

Hope this helps you a little.

I've been to the first site a few times in the past he used to have a price list, order forms and contact info. It looks like he did away with a lot of his page.
  by Petz

Based on the fact that Chris produces only a few locos of one type in a year (besides his main job) a price list is really not necessary.
I contacted Chris via email, got an offer with shipping date and bought the loco set. Chris delivered exactly at this date and the credit card payment ran absolutely correct too. If he will produce the TEM2 in the next months i surely will buy one or two further locomotives from him.
Chris is the only hope for a TE10 or TEM2 type loco...;-)

The russian M62 type had been produced bei Gützold as V200 but only in DR (Deutsche Reichsbahn - former German Democratic Republic) style carbodies, this locos had been fitted with a 2000 hp 2 - cycle diesel engine and based on their sound had been called "Taigatrommel" in Eastern germany. The newer Roco model is available in russian colors two but like the Gützold model only as single locomotive. 2M62 locos unfortunately nobody offers in a production.
The russian TEP type locomotive had been built also for the Deutsche Reichsbahn as V300, the Deutsche Bundesbahn later called them BR232. The loco model is available from Roco but only as single locomotive too.
The so called "Steppenwolf" was longer and had a 3000 hp 4 - cycle diesel engine.
  by scharnhorst

Petz wrote:Based on the fact that Chris produces only a few locos of one type in a year (besides his main job) a price list is really not necessary.
I contacted Chris via email, got an offer with shipping date and bought the loco set. Chris delivered exactly at this date and the credit card payment ran absolutely correct too. If he will produce the TEM2 in the next months i surely will buy one or two further locomotives from him.
Chris is the only hope for a TE10 or TEM2 type loco...;-)

The russian M62 type had been produced bei Gützold as V200 but only in DR (Deutsche Reichsbahn - former German Democratic Republic) style carbodies, this locos had been fitted with a 2000 hp 2 - cycle diesel engine and based on their sound had been called "Taigatrommel" in Eastern germany. The newer Roco model is available in russian colors two but like the Gützold model only as single locomotive. 2M62 locos unfortunately nobody offers in a production.
The russian TEP type locomotive had been built also for the Deutsche Reichsbahn as V300, the Deutsche Bundesbahn later called them BR232. The loco model is available from Roco but only as single locomotive too.
The so called "Steppenwolf" was longer and had a 3000 hp 4 - cycle diesel engine.

I would love to get a TEM2 if there a production run comes out they look a lot like the Canadian built MLW RSC13's that where built in the 70's
  by Petz

The TEM2 is a russian copy of the legendary Alco RSD1. 157 locomotives had been shipped to Russia in the world war two to serve the transiranian Railway. Russia kept them and used it for developing their own TEM - series. The TEM´s honoured its american grandparents with pure Alco sound and the same beautiful smoke clouds when it has to work hard...:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzqCMOiwNms

Maybe you will have another but more expensive possibility. Petr Kondratiev from St. Petersburg / Russia is building like Chris Whie very small series of russian diesel loco models. I contacted him first in 2000 when he offers the 2TE40 and a TE12, some months ago i got a folder from him with newer items which i just now found in my private chaos and scanned it together with his postal and email adress. Maybe the offered TE3 will wake your interests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.