• Bushwick Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Legio X

Knife:
I guess somebody complained to the C.O., and what you saw was the stroke given out in response. Keep up the complaints, and try complaining to the media. Fox 5 and Channel 7 are particularly good at following up on things like this. Maybe Fred himself could make the call....

by Knife-Switch

Legio thanks for the brainstorming but....

F*&# the Media

We all remember the NY Slimes troll we had here after the last Bushwick fiasco. Doing something like calling the TV News Spinners would only turn around and bite us in the a$$. For now I'd rather stick with the occassional NYPD cruiser and a good throwing arm for my lantern(its amazing how well they bounce off cars that blow the crossings).

by Knife-Switch

Now I wasn't going to mention this, but......since you bring up the 83 Pct & BNTF (in the other forum), I have a little tale to relate from Wednesday night.

While we were running around our train at Morgan Ave, a cruiser travelling East on Messerole, turned South on Morgan. Being that they didn't want to wait with the 4 or so other cars stopped at the crossing, they threw on they're lights and ran around traffic and our flagman. Needless to say these two officers weren't aware of the TTZX flat that was the point of our shove, whose long draw bar came within 20 feet of going through the clueless driver's window.

How do I know the driver was clueless....because I was riding the point of the shove and was close enough to see the passenger point out the knuckle to the driver, whose eyes did a Roger Rabbit as he put the pedal to the floor.

Now my whole crew understands the nature of police work and the need to get somewhere in an emergency, but what really burnt us was that as soon as they cleared the crossing and hit the brakes to take the right turn onto Johnson, they turned off their lights, leaving us to reset our now dumped train and contemplate how close we came to being tagged cop killers for their own ignorance!

I can't say for sure if it was 83 or BNTF, but the next cruiser that went through about 15 minutes later (looked both ways and acknowledged the flagman) was definitely BNTF

by Knife-Switch

On a completely different perspective ( I ran the 159 tonight).

We came down shortnose to Morgan and the CDTR and BKMN dismounted to open the fence to Bushwick Yard (which has cut down considerably the illegal dumping and burnt out stolen cars).

I watched a car with Penn plates clear the crossing then stop. It slowly backed up onto the tracks. I was thinking: "A" we've got someone here who may have previously been unhappy with a lantern launched across their hood as they ran the crossing or "B" we've got someone who is looking for 'death by train' and was unaware that a moving train is required for that.

So there they are and the tinted passenger window begins to roll down as I am contemplating exactly how bulletproof the cab windows are....the passenger raises a silver object as the driver watches, both lit up by ditch lights and......
"CLICK" they took a camera phone picture of the short hooded 159 while smiling and waving!!!!!

You never know what to expect in the Bush :P

by DogBert

My understanding (however basic) is that they don't go to all jobs/calls with the lights and sirens blazing (only when going through intersections, etc).

by Legio X

Knife:
Probably rookies fresh from a foot post in a police vehicle for the first time. :wink: Veteran officers would know better. :wink: The rookies were probably responding to a call of "possible prostitution activity" or "people smokin' drugs" on Scott Ave.....

"8-3-Charlie, Central, we're nearby, we'll take that job!!!!"

They forget we're almost 30 months without a contract......
  by b&p rupture

LOL:

"Knuckle"heads?
Knife-Switch wrote: Well lady maybe you're right and I am just hallucinating the oncoming freight train whose knuckle is about to come through your window!!!!! :wink:
Knife-Switch wrote: Needless to say these two officers weren't aware of the TTZX flat that was the point of our shove, whose long draw bar came within 20 feet of going through the clueless driver's window.

How do I know the driver was clueless....because I was riding the point of the shove and was close enough to see the passenger point out the knuckle to the driver, whose eyes did a Roger Rabbit as he put the pedal to the floor.

Any actual knuckle/window contact stories out there? (or has dumb luck on the motorists part prevailed?)

by Knife-Switch

Scott Avenue Working Girl back in business.

Friday night we had our first "-tute" sighting of the Spring.
A white female with black male client in hand (pun intended) was delayed from pulling a load as the RS-302 was pulling loads from WMX and Filthy Berto Bros.

The industrious young women did however appreciate the lighter moment of "Strangers in the Night" being whistled by the Conductor as he walked past the aforementioned couple whilst doing a brake test.

Doobee Doobee Doo

by Scrap em Again

Just too funny Mr. Knife stories like that just cant be made up LOL! Last time I seen her she was handling her "consignees" under the Dutch Kills. I guess she moved east, slightly more affluent clients I suppose.

by Knife-Switch

As part of the new regime Safety Comittee, my first proposal will be to issue the following to the RS-90 to address the crossing problems on the Bush:

Military Model XM109 Semi Automatic 4 Round 25MM Payload Rifle:

Providing Light Fighters with AP lethality out to 2000 meters, the Barrett XM109 25MM Payload rifle will allow trainmen to engage and quickly destroy vehicles who choose to ignore flag protection of grade crossings. Like the M107 .50 caliber LRSR, the XM109 has accuracy, lethality and legendary Barrett reliability. The XM109 is destined to be a tremendous asset on the Bushwick Branch. Full rifles or upper conversion units for the M107, including the bolt, upper receiver, and magazine, are available. Models mount easily on EMD SW1001 cab-end

Perhaps this will put an end to Featherstone Bakery's drivers parking on the tracks at the grade crossing.
  by freightguy

That is certainly a sharp weapon! Just tell your brakeman to carry his lantern. It is probably in his bag along with his cerebellum.

by DogBert

maybe some of them trash guys can 'accidently' set one of them bread trucks on fire...

by Knife-Switch

RS-90 currently reports M-F 1900Hrs F.P.

However:
Locating/inspecting/draining/MU-ing/adding a couple hundred pounds of sand, & changing out headlights on the Engines....

Locating/inspecting/building consist....

Finding an "In Service" clear track in the West Yard....

These are all factors that keep the 90's appearance on the branch quite random.

Then one must factor available HP vs tonnage and grade (1.8% I've been told??), in order to determine the number of runs (on Average 2-3 / night)

If you are looking for auditory hints as to location and direction of the 90....Short Sweet (but legal of course) 14-L's are usually indicative of Westbound moves over any of the Eight crossings....Long Pronounced (Get the F*&$ out of my way) 14-L's are usually Eastbound uphill moves.

And finally my Xmas present to Buff's looking for a good photo op...probably the best spot for a great shot of the 90 Eastbound is the 60th Street overpass. You can get the train just exiting from under a building and if we have the 9373 in Notch 8 with Waste Mgt loads...some nights you'd swear it was a steam engine coming out. If you want a little closer and more level, but on an angle....there is the back wall to the Soccer Field off Andrews Ave. And if we come up early enough the field provides plenty of artificial light for a good night shot.....

Geez...listen to me I guess the diesel fuel has finally gotten to the gray matter......

by badneighbor

wow knife... you sound like a foamer here. :-D

by DogBert

foam-tastic. thanks. I might russle up my PO buddy one of these nights and get some photos. screw trees and scenery, gimme that urban grime backdrop...