• Builders Photos of L4 and A2

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rlsteam

Does anyone know how I can obtain builders photos of the NYC L4b Mohawk (Lima, showing No. 3135 without smoke deflectors) and the P&LE A2 Berkshire? Digital attachment of a scan would be OK, in a large resolution. Thanks.
  by clehman

I believe a large photo of L4 3135 is in the Al Stauffer book "NYC Later Power." I'll try to remember to check tonight when I get home. The photo I'm thinking about is a builders photo of an L4 without the smoke deflectors. I believe if I scan it into the computer, I can attach it to another Reply to this question on this Forum. Check this site tomorrow, hopefully I'll have posted the photo by then, if it is the 3135.
  by rlsteam

Yes, the builders photo of the L4b class is No. 3135. I have a few printed publications that show it, but I am looking for a clearer version for some "graphic modeling" I am doing. Specifically, I am trying to show what a Niagara would have looked like without the smoke deflectors and with centered headlight, etc. I am working from a builders photo of S1a 6000 and need a builders photo of another locomotive with the flat Selkirk front end but no deflectors. That limits me to the L4 and A2 classes.

by trlinkcaso

If you want to know what a Niagara looks like without the smoke deflectors, then why not look for a photo of one. There are photos of 6000 and 6023 in Staufer/May book NYC Later Power ( and I'm sure there are photos in other books as well ) without the smoke deflectors.
  by rlsteam

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the NYC operated any Niagaras without the "elephant ears." I have searched every Internet site I know of, especially George Elwood's, for images of the Niagaras and found none without the smoke deflectors. I will look into finding that book.
  by clehman

The Niagara without smoke deflectors in the Stauffer book Terry is referring to was in a grade crossing accident. The photo is on page 163 and shows the engineer's side smoke deflector crumpled against the smoke box, and the fireman's side smoke deflector is either missing or has been removed. Problem with this photo is that the whole lower front of the locomotive is smashed! Probably the best photo in the whole book for a front shot of a Niagara is on page 154. Engine 6022 has her smoke deflectors, but it's a full-page close-up of the front. Let me know if you have the Stauffer book Terry & I are referring to, it's title is actually, "Steam Power - NYC Modern Power, Vol 1, 1915-1955." If you do, check the photo of 3135 spread across the top of pages 8-9, engineer's side. On page 143 is an excellent photo of 3138, fireman's side. If you don't have this book, I'll try to scan some of these photos in for you. If I can't figure out how to post the photos on this site, I'll try the other NYC forum message board - I saw your post on this subject there too. Carl

by rlsteam

I don't have the Stauffer book. I found "New York Central's Modern Power, 1910-1968" by Stauffer and May for sale at Amazon and Half.com for $50 up, and am not going to spring for it just yet. The title is a bit different from what you mentioned. A friend in northern Michigan just sent me two good images of the 6000 minus deflectors, one from right and the other from left, but I am still looking for a broadside (engineer's side) if the Selkirk front end. Your scan would be appreciated -- before I go and try to build all those bolts and pumps and shields and handrails from scratch, not to mention the headlight.
  by Jim Fitzgerald

Richard, take a look at my website, the Harold Vollrath page. There is a shot of 3105 and one of the A-2's. If either are of use to you I can rescan them at higher res and email them to you. If my attempt at a link fails, it's in the list of links for the NYC elsewhere in this forum.
http://www.pioneer.net/~fitzrr
  by rlsteam

I have viewed your Vollrath site many times -- thanks for doing it. I didn't find 3105 there, but that's a nice photo of 9400 that I wouldn't mind having. I'm still looking for a high-resolution straight-on broadside of a loco with the flat Selkirk front end. Meanwhile, I am constructing it myself from more angular views and hoping to get it reasonably correct. (I even counted the bolts on the front end).