• Buffalo-Niagara Falls Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by NellieBly

Thanks for posting the link, Gilbert. I'm not too familiar with the Buffalo area, but I've been there a few times. I was aware that the DL&W train shed was the service area for the light rail line, but hadn't seen photos before.

It's a shame the headhouse was torn down.

As for Exchange Place, I first passed through it in 1979 on a TH&B RDC connecting to an Amtrak train. I was told at the time that Amtrak had "re-opened" it when extending train service to Niagara Falls, so I assumed it was an NYC-era building. That is certainly what it looked like.

The TH&B train came across a bridge from Ft. Erie, ON and right into Exchange Street, where a cross-platform connection was made with the Amtrak train. I don't think TH&B went anywhere near Niagara Falls (we certainly didn't on that trip). Apparently the TH&B trains had formerly run to Central Union Terminal, but when Exchange St. was reopened they cut back service to that point. Our train was two RDCs, by the way.

There are still two railroad bridges at Niagara Falls. One is the bridge used by the Maple Leaf, and the other (which is adjacent) is the former Canada Southern bridge which was used by Amtrak's Niagara Rainbow to Detroit. It is now out of service, and the former CS trackage through the Fallsview area of Niagara Falls, ON has been removed (although the ROW is still visible, and runs underneath a couple of the new hotels).
  by Noel Weaver

NellieBly wrote:Thanks for posting the link, Gilbert. I'm not too familiar with the Buffalo area, but I've been there a few times. I was aware that the DL&W train shed was the service area for the light rail line, but hadn't seen photos before.

It's a shame the headhouse was torn down.

As for Exchange Place, I first passed through it in 1979 on a TH&B RDC connecting to an Amtrak train. I was told at the time that Amtrak had "re-opened" it when extending train service to Niagara Falls, so I assumed it was an NYC-era building. That is certainly what it looked like.

The TH&B train came across a bridge from Ft. Erie, ON and right into Exchange Street, where a cross-platform connection was made with the Amtrak train. I don't think TH&B went anywhere near Niagara Falls (we certainly didn't on that trip). Apparently the TH&B trains had formerly run to Central Union Terminal, but when Exchange St. was reopened they cut back service to that point. Our train was two RDCs, by the way.

There are still two railroad bridges at Niagara Falls. One is the bridge used by the Maple Leaf, and the other (which is adjacent) is the former Canada Southern bridge which was used by Amtrak's Niagara Rainbow to Detroit. It is now out of service, and the former CS trackage through the Fallsview area of Niagara Falls, ON has been removed (although the ROW is still visible, and runs underneath a couple of the new hotels).
Exchange Place Station in Buffalo is definately old New York Central territory, on the Niagara Branch. It was built by the
NYC maybe in the 50's or so for trains to the Falls, Detroit and Canada.
Noel Weaver
  by JimBoylan

Buffalo & Susquehanna, a convoluted and short lived (1916) predecessor of the Wellsville, Addison & Galeton, terminated at Exchange Place station in Buffalo. I don't know who owned what back then.
  by Tommy Meehan

Wikipedia wrote:Plans for the current [Exchange Street Station] began in 1949. New York State heavily funded the station as being part of the Skyway [Rt.5] construction. The total cost was $7 million. The station opened on August 2, 1952. The station originally served 21 New York Central and Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway trains daily. The double track station had two side platforms connected by an overhead walkway. From this point, activity at the station quickly declined. In 1962, the New York Central ceased passenger operations to Niagara Falls, and the station was closed.
I hate to quote Wikipedia but the above seems pretty accurate (and concise). The old and massive stub-end Exchange Street Station that opened in 1880 was the major terminal in Buffalo for many years -- it hosted NY Central, West Shore and Pennsylvania among others -- and was demolished in 1935.

The newer version was a local station that I think only served Central, and was located several blocks west of the old station

Below is the Wikipedia link. But if you're curious you can Google many many websites devoted to Buffalo rail history. The one Mr. Norman linked has a number of other interesting pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo-Ex ... et_Station

[edited once for typo]
  by Suburban Station

george matthews wrote: It doesn't look very attractive, but the Buffalo Exchange looks even worse.
when the cab driver dropped us at off at exchange sstreet she said "don't make fun of our station." It was funny because that was the first thing we did when we stepped off the train.
  by Noel Weaver

[quote="CliveRichards"]Buffalo Niagara falls service terminates at Exchange Place station in Buffalo. I don't know who owned what back then. :-D

The link provided with the above entry is nothing more than an advertisement for a hotel and does not belong here.

In the New York Central days most of the Buffalo-Niagara Falls service was operated by a single Budd RDC. It ran to and
from the main Central Terminal and stopped at Exchange Street enroute. The only train that originated or terminated at
Exchange Street was the T H & B Budd Car train between Buffalo and Toronto after the Central Terminal was closed and
before the Toronto service ran via Niagara Falls. There was a short stub end spur in the Exchange Street Station area where
the Budd cars laid over between trips.
Incidentally the NYC Budd cars made their last trips between Buffalo and Niagara Falls either in late 1960 or early 1961.
Noel Weaver