Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by GP40MC 1116

Does anyone know what the news or what is going to happen to the Budd RDC's that are sitting before Boston S & G as you are pulling into North Station. It's a shame they can't be used, i know they have got some "artwork" to them but it would be a nice project and fix one up for special excursions or at least sell them to the Hobbo/Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad up in NH, they have alot of former B & M and MBTA RDC's that they use.

by TomNelligan

They've been so totally vandalized that I doubt any museum or tourist railroad could afford to restore them. Besides, there are already quite a few preserved RDCs in New England so they're not exactly unique or rare equipment.

by railfan101

They should be added back in MBCR service as part of the CRASP program. :P :P :P :-D :-D :-D
  by GP40MC1118

Use of these two RDC-9's for crew & mechanical quarters at North Station is still on the table, so don't give up on them yet. Can't comment further.

dave

by theseaandalifesaver

I actually was in those last summer becasue my friends are into art. (we only took pictures) And there is no way that those would be able to be restored. I dought they would ever be able to be moved. I think that's why they've been there so long. They are literally falling apart.
  by danib62

GP40MC1118 wrote:Use of these two RDC-9's for crew & mechanical quarters at North Station is still on the table, so don't give up on them yet. Can't comment further.

dave
I don't think they're going to be needed as a crew & mechanical quarters now that there is going to be one in the new North Station due to be finished in November.
  by railfan101

GP40MC1118 wrote:Use of these two RDC-9's for crew & mechanical quarters at North Station is still on the table, so don't give up on them yet. Can't comment further.

dave
I think it would be nice to see them in the station.

by sery2831

As part of the expansion at north station, we are getting a new crew area! So you will not see the Budd cars used for office space at north station. Also those two budd cars are missing there trucks, they are on 'shop' trucks. So in order to restore them you would need to come up with some trucks...
  by GP40MC1118

I got to comment...Nobody ever said they would be put back on proper
trucks to ride the rails again.

The comment about crew/mechanical space is based on information
I was privy to last month. It may happen, it may not. Who knows,
they might even be a display, stuff and mounted on the banks of the
Charles.

d

by Ron Newman

Would be nice if they could somehow be moved to the unused stub tracks in North Station, and statically displayed there....

by sery2831

I agree, that would be very cool!

by GP40MC 1116

sery2831 wrote:As part of the expansion at north station, we are getting a new crew area! So you will not see the Budd cars used for office space at north station. Also those two budd cars are missing there trucks, they are on 'shop' trucks. So in order to restore them you would need to come up with some trucks...

I agree John, never the less, even though they're in the best condition, it's still nice to see some Boston and Maine RDC's still arround the area.

by GP40MC 1116

Ron Newman wrote:Would be nice if they could somehow be moved to the unused stub tracks in North Station, and statically displayed there....
I follow you on that.. Great Idea

by NellsChoo

If trucks could be located, wouldn't these be rather cost effective to run? Or am I speaking on a topic I know too little about?

by octr202

NellsChoo wrote:If trucks could be located, wouldn't these be rather cost effective to run? Or am I speaking on a topic I know too little about?
Just to move them to a new location, or to run them in service? As cool as it would be, they'd be well beyond their useful lifespan even if they were in good condition, seeing as though they're about 50 years old.

I'm not sure what happened to the last of the former B&M/MBTA rebuilt Budds, but they did make the rounds of the US transportation system as "quick fill ins" for some authorities. I know that VRE (Virginia Railway Express) snapped up a bunch when they were caught short of equipment, and didn't have the deep pockets to buy new stuff quickly. Also, at least one set of cars was leased to SEPTA in Philadelphia at one time for extra capacity during a subway strike there. Anyone else know where they've roamed?