• Bound Brook:Do boarding passengers cross over active tracks?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wborys

Stopped for a few minutes at the Bound Brook station this weekend, on way to visiting
relatives. Within 5 minutes a container train comes roaring by! What a great place.

I have a question, though. If you tunnel under the tracks to get to the east-bound
station, the seating area is separated from the passenger line tracks by two sets of
rails, I assume one of the freight lines going through.

Are these tracks still active? Are passengers theoretically at risk, rushing across
the rails to get to the boarding area, while a freight bears down on them?

thanx for any insight- RF Walt.
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe the connecting track there is still used by local freights, but it would be in no way a high speed track. I'm sure a train there couldn't sneak up on you in any way as 5-10mph is probably the highest speed allowed. Not sure if a conductor would be on the ground too.
  by waldwickrailfan

SecaucusJunction wrote:I believe the connecting track there is still used by local freights, but it would be in no way a high speed track. I'm sure a train there couldn't sneak up on you in any way as 5-10mph is probably the highest speed allowed. Not sure if a conductor would be on the ground too.
I witnessed MA01 working there once, nobody was there and the train was restricted to 10MPH.
  by ccutler

Such track arrangements were once common, it should not be a big deal. Once upon a time RR crossings were only identified by a painted set of crossbucks and a trainwhistle, you know.
  by Ken W2KB

ccutler wrote:Such track arrangements were once common, it should not be a big deal. Once upon a time RR crossings were only identified by a painted set of crossbucks and a trainwhistle, you know.

For that matter, for all mainline CRRNJ stations (other than 3 or 4) from Jersey City to Raritan had many passenger trains stop on the inner tracks of the 4 track (minimum) mainline. Bound Brook was one. At Annandale one must cross the active passing siding. Not at all unusual.
  by GSC

On the Coast Line, Matawan station used to be such a place, passengers crossing over the active westbound track (on a blind curve, no less) to get to eastbound trains. That has since been rebuilt with a platform on each side. The Manasquan station father down is still that way, passengers walking across the westbound rails. These stations used to be called by a certain number, with timetable info regarding stations set up this way.
  by Jtgshu

Norac Rule 121 would apply, but its not quite the same situation as say Manasquan, as its not a main track. But the same rule applies.

For your reading (or sleeping) enjoyment:
121. Intervening Tracks at Station Platforms
a. General Requirements
When a passenger train is receiving or discharging passengers across an intervening track, trains and track cars must not pass between that train and the station platform.
b. Obtaining Assurance of Protection
A passenger train routed to a track that will result in a station stop for receiving or discharging passengers across a main track or controlled siding intervening between that train and the station platform must stop as soon as it is known it is so routed. Before proceeding, the Engineer or Conductor must obtain assurance from the Dispatcher or Operator that protection on the track adjacent to the station platform has been provided. Two exceptions to the stop requirement are:
1. When verbal or written assurance of protection has been previously provided.
2. When the track adjacent to the station platform is out of service.
The Dispatcher or Operator must not give a train assurance of protection until it has been determined that:
1. No train is approaching the station on the track to be protected.
OR
2. All trains involved have been advised as to how to proceed to ensure passenger safety.
Signals governing entrance to the track must be placed in stop position and blocking devices must be applied.
c. Receiving and Discharging Passengers: Designated Stations
Specific stations are designated in the Timetable as those where scheduled trains normally receive and discharge passengers across a track between the train and the station platform. Protection against other trains is not required when trains make scheduled stops at these stations.

(Rule 121 Continued)
Trains operating on tracks across which passengers are normally received and discharged must approach such stations prepared to stop, until the Engineer has determined that no passenger train is occupying the station by:
1. Visual observation.
OR
2. Verbal confirmation from the Dispatcher.
If a passenger train is occupying the station, the approaching train must not occupy the station unless permission is received from the crew of the train occupying the station and measures have been taken to ensure the safety of its passengers.
d. Occupying Station Platform Area
When a passenger train is approaching, the station platform area must not be occupied by either:
1. Trains operating on an out-of-service track that is adjacent to a station platform.
OR
2. Track cars operating on a track (in-service or out-of-service) that is adjacent to a station platform.
e. Blocking Access to Platform
At stations where tracks intervene between a station platform and a track on which passenger trains normally receive or discharge passengers, trains other than passenger trains must not block access to the platform.
BTW, that track is used just about every day. There is a good shine on the rails. The freight local that serves the RVL uses it, mostly at night.
  by GooStats

in SEPTA-land, this happens every day at Langhorne and Woodbourne. They outbound passenger train load and unload over the inbound track.
  by millerm277

GooStats wrote:in SEPTA-land, this happens every day at Langhorne and Woodbourne. They outbound passenger train load and unload over the inbound track.
Pretty common in MA on the MBCR as well from what I've seen. West Natick is one example I know of.
  by many19

Gentlemen,
I take the 2nd train coming out of Raritan every day for the last 3 years. The tracks in question are used by the local freight almost every day.
Passengers cross right in front of the train while it waits for clearance to go on the main.
No fast moving freight has ever gone through there.

Thank you
many