• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by lakest101

According to a friend of mine that just left PWRR - BSRC had supposedly spent almost a million dollars when GWRR bought PWRR and all out of this kids pocket. He said that their (PWRRs) former CEO and CFO had looked over the books more than once and if it weren't for the sale they'd be moving forward more quickly. My buddy was in the safety and compliance group just saying. I'm going to head to Woonsocket once day next week maybe before the kids start school and knock on the door.
  by Vermian

Based on the information provided, this project has also gone from being a $3m DIY project to a $200m government subsidized proposal.
  by Vermian

So I understand that there is a desire to provide service on the 'Capital Corridor' into New Hampshire, but would it not make sense if you were going from Worcester to Lowell anyway to go the extra mile to establish a connection with the Downeaster instead turning north to Nashua?
  by Hux

No, it wouldn't. And who is going to go from Worcester to Lowell? Or, if you are going to Lowell, transfer to a train going inbound and catch the DE at Woburn. No point in trying to make a direct connecting train, unless it were through North Station.
  by Rockingham Racer

The proposal was to extend Lowell Line trains up along the New Hampshire Division. It had nothing to do with Worcester. I don't think the proposal is going forward, though. [I think we're off topic. :wink: ]
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Next, of course, they'll be proposing to re-lay the whole Northern from Boscawen to White River Junction stick-by-stick to run daily Providence-Montreal service. Subsidy-free*!!!

*Offer void in the continental U.S. and Canada
:wink:
  by Vermian

Hux wrote:No, it wouldn't. And who is going to go from Worcester to Lowell? Or, if you are going to Lowell, transfer to a train going inbound and catch the DE at Woburn. No point in trying to make a direct connecting train, unless it were through North Station.

http://www.valleybreeze.com/2017-07-26/ ... n-investor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new map of BSRC’s service plan shows seven stops with Providence as a southernmost point. The Woonsocket train would still run to Worcester as planned, and would continue on with stops in Ayer and Lowell in Massachusetts, and Nashua and Bedford in New Hampshire.
Last edited by Vermian on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Vermian

Rockingham Racer wrote:The proposal was to extend Lowell Line trains up along the New Hampshire Division. It had nothing to do with Worcester. I don't think the proposal is going forward, though. [I think we're off topic. :wink: ]
http://www.bsrc.com/about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Vermian on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for that. I stand corrected. There are no details on how the service to Manchester would be accomplished. And they're playing with PanAm. Good luck.
  by Ridgefielder

Rockingham Racer wrote:Thanks for that. I stand corrected. There are no details on how the service to Manchester would be accomplished. And they're playing with PanAm. Good luck.
Via the Worcester, Nashua & Portland, of course! :wink:
  by Vermian

He is clearly trying to find an iteration of the concept and combination of funding mechanisms would actually be able to get this project off the ground. It appears that the more the project changes the larger the hurdles to startup become and collaboration with more challenging 'partners' are needed.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Oh Lord, Nashua's about to buy a crate of this guy's leftover snake oil.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/mayor-prese ... h/12462885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[Mayor] Donchess says the service would come at no cost to the city, as it would be a public-private partnership. The commuter line would operate on a for-profit basis after it opens.
Ummm, Mr. Mayor...that's NOT how public-private partnerships work. Seriously...you've been in municipal politics for 40 years and had two stints in the City Hall corner office and don't draw this distinction???

Also, does anyone dealing with these clowns realize that the MBTA has perpetual rights of first refusal to run commuter rail service from Lowell to Concord based on Pan Am's STB filings for land swaps with MassDOT? That docket's searchable on the STB website and details it to the nines. How exactly does the pied piper of Providence...no!, Woonsocket...no!...Worcester...ehh????...Nashua free-as-in-beer private passenger rail plan to square permissions with BOTH Pan Am and the T, since both have to be signatories to any such deal offering a third party operating rights for commuter service? Doubly so since they now plan to use Lowell Station the same way they were a cinch to use Providence Station...but are forgetting to talk to the T about LOW access exactly like they conveniently forgot to ever get official statement from Amtrak about PVD access. Yuck!...same hustle, different group of suckers.

It's hard to believe it was only months ago when we were still credibly giving BSRY the benefit of the doubt that they had puncher's chance of narrowly pulling something off. Way back in the simpler time of 2016 when it was 'only' a supposedly fait-accompli P&W signing-on-the-dotted-line away from the Providence-Woonsocket route being theirs to lose. Little did we know the mask would get torn off while they were waiting for P&W, revealing them to be scammers almost as transparent as that Golden Eagle flim-flammer in Maine. Or maybe the BSRY 'braintrust' figured that P&W's/G&W's lawyers were eventually going to find the incriminating evidence if they dug down diligently enough and said "To hell with playing it straight, grifters goin' grift."

Either way, extremely disappointing that Nashua is even entertaining such transparent hogwash. I get that they're in a jam still badly wanting T service in a state that won't support them, and trying their best for a go-it-alone play outside of state gov't's purview that can scrape just enough funding to get a border poke. But pissing off the T by failing to read up on who holds the trackage rights before making sweeping pronouncements is just dumb. Letting BSRY's tissue-thin sales pitch be the shiny thing that induces such a dumb brain fart...well, that'll be unforgivable if it ends up slamming the door on the other side of the border to the T continuing the dialogue with Nashua about a border poke. :(