• BNSF Pools

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by mkerfe

I know on the BNSF there is an extra board but there are also pool jobs. If you are on a pool job does that job start at a certain time or are you still called 24\7?

I guess my question is how does a pool job differ from the extra board?
  by jz441

Pool jobs work only one route and they are on call 24/7. Extra board is there to protect all vacancies (all routes) when there is lack of manpower on the pools. Some terminals like Kansas City run in 5 different directions. Extra board also protects yard jobs, road switchers, locals and any extra or unassigned work. Since pool jobs work only one route, its easy to predict your next call. Extra board, other than yardmen extra boards are much harder to predict.
  by matawanaberdeen

With how awesome BNSF treats its employees,based on the title of the thread I though BNSF bought all its employees pools or had pools at their rail yards for its employees to use! Yes that was a joke but I can't get smiles to show up in my posts anymore.
  by jz441

Lol, no swiming pools yet! :-)