• BNSF Physical

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Williamsj

Hey I may be jumping the gun a bit here but I just got called to ND for an interview. The only thing that is making me hesitant about going is if I will pass the physical or not. As far as I know I am healthy as an ox. My only concern is that my height weight ratio may not be what they are looking for. I do have a little fat but I am mostly muscle and I dont know if they take that into consideration. Based on what I have read they just got off of bmi, not necessarily how your built. Does anyone have any input on this?

The only Reason I dont just go to interview and find out later is the fact that it is a 1500 mile drive one way. Thanx in advance for any help.
  by mufdvr1

I would go I had a bmi issue and I jumped through all of the hoops blood work sleep study and was told that I meet the requirements for the position. Just do the best you can to get your weight down they will measure you at the second physical you gut and but you want it to be the same # . Hope that helps. And at any rate they pay for it all so you all checked out for free and a sleep study is like 2500.00.
  by Williamsj

Hey thanx alot for the info I will be leaving here on friday night headed to ND.
  by recklessendangerment

I jumped through all those hoops as well without any problems and have started with the RR already now.

But They DID NOT and told me they WOULD NOT pay for my Bloodwork or Sleep Study.

Wanted it to come out of my own pocket. I was lucky enough to be a vet and have VA benefits that paid for it, so be ready for that situation as well. Would've cost me $2700 for the sleep study.
If I decided not to pay for it and get it done they would reconsider me if i lost 10% of my body mass (23 lbs) and kept it off for 6 months for them.

So just realize that it may Cost you even more than just the drive.
  by redlod79

From my experiance height wieght ratio has nothing really to do with it. As far as sleep testing I have no idea about those.
  by Williamsj

hey thank you for the input. i would be willing to if i needed to attempt to lose the weight also if it is an issue.
  by recklessendangerment

redlod79 wrote:From my experiance height wieght ratio has nothing really to do with it. As far as sleep testing I have no idea about those.
Height / Weight was the whole issue for me. It's what they figured BMI with, and as a stocky well built guy It caused me to jump through hoops
  by Williamsj

Another thought i had today. if i am traveling to the interview does that mean i will have to go back to ND for my physical if i get offer or is it something i can do locally?
  by SlagShooter

No, they will find something that is closer to you. It might be 200 mi (or more or less) instead of 1500, but it should be closer.
  by Pike

Does anyone here who had a high BMI and was requsted to have the other tests done know what their BMI number was when they needed the additionsl testing? Wondering how high a high BMI is.

Thanks!
  by recklessendangerment

SlagShooter wrote:No, they will find something that is closer to you. It might be 200 mi (or more or less) instead of 1500, but it should be closer.

They did my Physical right in my home town, but for the strength test they gave me 3 options all of which were more than 400 miles away. But then they let the next classes group of interviewee's do theirs 30 miles away.
  by buckshideout

What terminal you going for interview at in ND? If its Minot, housing is a bitch to find right know. I got offered a Bricklaying job their and cant find a apartment to safe my life. I live in grand forks and if its the gf terminal, you wont have any trouble finding a place here. Just remember one thing, the winters are nasty up here. The wind blows like a bitch, with temps getting way below zero. So if you aint from here it can be a big change for ya. And the trains keep on a rollin no matter what the weather. Its absolutly boring up here. Thats why everyone moves away when they get out of college. Good luck!
If you have any more Questions dont be afraid to ask. Lived here my whole life.
  by SlagShooter

recklessendangerment wrote:
SlagShooter wrote:No, they will find something that is closer to you. It might be 200 mi (or more or less) instead of 1500, but it should be closer.

They did my Physical right in my home town, but for the strength test they gave me 3 options all of which were more than 400 miles away. But then they let the next classes group of interviewee's do theirs 30 miles away.
Ah, that's right. I confused the two. They took weight and height at the strenght test.

Still going to closer than the 1500.

On the Minot housing note... Housing is going through a major crunch in the area, from the oil hiring tons of people to work, and it's had to find anywhere to live in just about any smaller town in Western ND all the way through Eastern MT (where I'm headed). Might be stuck living an hours drive away from where you're working.
  by Williamsj

Well i just got home from interview. i think that it went good. i did notice housing as scarce there. i am thinking i might stay in a motel till i get through a bit of class the move family out after something hopefully opens up. i am also wondering if anyone knows what the bmi number is. im in southern Oregon i hope its not 400 miles from me to get strength test done. does anyone know if this session count towards other applications?
  by mufdvr1

they trip on bmi of 35-40 when you do your physical have them measure your gut and your butt you want a 1 to 1 ratio!! that is what they want. your physical will probably be closer if not ask the nurse with they testing company to work with you. good luck I am from vancouver and took a job in eastern mt. Just always do exactly what they tell you!