• bnsf might be taking over kcs

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by bufnick

i work for kcs and we were handed an article that came out dec 8 about bnsfs
planing to buy kcs or at least merg with kcs talks about cn rail too just wonder everyones thoughts on this. thanks
Last edited by bufnick on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcs

by bufnick

article came from trains.com
  by Komachi

** Does spit take **

Say, whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

According to the Trains Newswire, it's still "speculation." Whether or not it becomes fact has yet to be seen. Anywone else care to fuel the speculation further and guess how this will turn out?

by AmtrakFan

That is a good chance this will happen one of these days but by the end of 2005 or 2006 won't happen. 2007 and beyond most likley.

by route_rock

Cor Matt what are we going to do tonight? What do we try to do every night Pinky? TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!! Now go watch said cartoon ( animaniacs for those without kids or a predispostion to sit in the hotel watching Cartoon network) and see how well the duo of Pinky and the Brain are at this and you will see how soon we are taking over KCS.

Seriously people this rumor is as bad as the one where NS guys tell us their checks have BNSF on them but cant produce the stubs ( BTW that merger happened at midnight Jan 1st 2006 hmmmmmmm still havent heard about it yet maybe next time I work or bid a job in PA :-D )

by route_rock

:-D Are you thinking what I am thinking Pinky? Uh yeah brain but how do they get alligators to make shoes :-D Or some such crazy thought that would come to his mind.

by jg greenwood

How much truth to the rumor that the BNSF has bought the E.St.Louis to DuQuoin line from the IC? By the way, this line originates at the old Gateway Western/KCS yard. Stay tuned. :wink:

by route_rock

Hmmmmm would be news to me. Guess I could look at the employee side of the website and see, It would be part of ODIS too if we did buy it so I will check but it is more than likely just rumor.
  by Komachi

jg greenwood posted...

"How much truth to the rumor that the BNSF has bought the E.St.Louis to DuQuoin line from the IC? By the way, this line originates at the old Gateway Western/KCS yard. Stay tuned. :wink: "

And yet, railroads buy and sell lines to each other or to smaller lines all the time. Coincidence abounds. But what would be gained by said aquisition? A faster route from St. Louis to Chi-town? (Not familair with the line, so I'm not sure if you're being facitious or what.)

Although, I'm currious to know, what would BNSF want with KCS, other than its connections down in Mexico? I know its lucrative (near exclusive non-stop shipping south of the border), but it's seems to me like Chrysler buying AMC (American Motors Corporation, for those too young to remember that we actually had FOUR auto makers here in the US) back in '87 just to get the Jeep line. (Of course, KCS also has that line down in Panama too... that might actually be a good chunk of change per year profit right there... at least until they finish the new locks to acomodate the super container ships sometime in the next decade or so.) Or, does KCS have some fairly good routes that would give BNSF more direct routing around the Midwest?
  by jg greenwood

Komachi wrote:jg greenwood posted...

"How much truth to the rumor that the BNSF has bought the E.St.Louis to DuQuoin line from the IC? By the way, this line originates at the old Gateway Western/KCS yard. Stay tuned. :wink: "

And yet, railroads buy and sell lines to each other or to smaller lines all the time. Coincidence abounds. But what would be gained by said aquisition? A faster route from St. Louis to Chi-town? (Not familair with the line, so I'm not sure if you're being facitious or what.)

Although, I'm currious to know, what would BNSF want with KCS, other than its connections down in Mexico? I know its lucrative (near exclusive non-stop shipping south of the border), but it's seems to me like Chrysler buying AMC (American Motors Corporation, for those too young to remember that we actually had FOUR auto makers here in the US) back in '87 just to get the Jeep line. (Of course, KCS also has that line down in Panama too... that might actually be a good chunk of change per year profit right there... at least until they finish the new locks to acomodate the super container ships sometime in the next decade or so.) Or, does KCS have some fairly good routes that would give BNSF more direct routing around the Midwest?
It's not my intent to "dream up" facetious posts. If that were my goal, I would go to that well known, far-left coast rail forum. The old GWWR route to Kansas City might be of interest to the BNSF?
  by Komachi

Mr. Greenwood,

It was not my intention to slight you in that post, I'm just not sure what is truth and what is speculation at this point. (And note I'm saying "speculation" as in an unknown state of facts/information and not calling it out-and-out fabrications.) I don't know if it was coincidence that BNSF bought that track or if they're positioning themselves for a better access route to the Gateway Yard to/from Chi-town (or whatever destination the trains are bound for). My apologies if it appeard that I was calling you a liar. I just wasn't sure if you were joking about that aquisiton or not.

Still, I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility at this point. It's a very likely scenerio to have occour. However, I could also see it becoming another Conrail, caught in a tug-of-war between BNSF and UP, as I feel UP would raise a stink over what BNSF could potentially get its hands on in such a merger. Especially with the Mexican contracts.

But we'll have to wait and see with that.

What I don't see at this point, is the rumored BNSF/NS merger. With essentially four major players in the railroad industry, I don't see it happening. Not only would the FRA, ICC and other associated government agencies having issues with said merger, but CSXT and UP as well. Compete against a true "transcontinental" (as in from "sea to shining sea") railroad? I just don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

But, nothing's impossible and I've been known to have been wrong... on a number of occasions about a great many things.
  by jg greenwood

Komachi wrote:Mr. Greenwood,

It was not my intention to slight you in that post, I'm just not sure what is truth and what is speculation at this point. (And note I'm saying "speculation" as in an unknown state of facts/information and not calling it out-and-out fabrications.) I don't know if it was coincidence that BNSF bought that track or if they're positioning themselves for a better access route to the Gateway Yard to/from Chi-town (or whatever destination the trains are bound for). My apologies if it appeard that I was calling you a liar. I just wasn't sure if you were joking about that aquisiton or not.

Still, I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility at this point. It's a very likely scenerio to have occour. However, I could also see it becoming another Conrail, caught in a tug-of-war between BNSF and UP, as I feel UP would raise a stink over what BNSF could potentially get its hands on in such a merger. Especially with the Mexican contracts.

But we'll have to wait and see with that.

What I don't see at this point, is the rumored BNSF/NS merger. With essentially four major players in the railroad industry, I don't see it happening. Not only would the FRA, ICC and other associated government agencies having issues with said merger, but CSXT and UP as well. Compete against a true "transcontinental" (as in from "sea to shining sea") railroad? I just don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

But, nothing's impossible and I've been known to have been wrong... on a number of occasions about a great many things.
Not a problem Mr. Komachi as I'm very familiar with "shanty bull$hit." I value the accurate information available on railroad.net. If I post something on these forums I want the information to be as truthful as possible.

by route_rock

Wow maybe we will be able to get across Nerska now instead of sitting there for a few hours watching them switch! Joliet to Corwith? Ok we already do that called the GALGYI train ( well it only goes to Glenn Yard but oh well)