• Bird's eye view of Rockville Bridge...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by glennk419

Great picture, David. That is certainly an interesting mix of power, almost brings back the "old" days.

by dwil89

glennk419 wrote:Great picture, David. That is certainly an interesting mix of power, almost brings back the "old" days.
Thanks....it is notable than in this era of widecabs, that consists such as these can still be found....this train was apparently a local, as it had a red bay window caboose on the rear.

by joshuahouse

Thats a great view, when I was donw there last week I was wondering how you could get good shots of it, now I know. Are there any maps online showing how to reach this overlook?
  by dwil89

joshuahouse wrote:Thats a great view, when I was donw there last week I was wondering how you could get good shots of it, now I know. Are there any maps online showing how to reach this overlook?
I recall a pic and some directions in a copy of Railpace a few years ago..I studied some Topomaps, and finally asked someone.....The way that I went, was to find Roberts Valley Road, which is the first road on the right past Rockville Bridge as you head North on Front Street. Take Roberts Valley Rd upgrade until you reach a wide spot with a line of mailboxes on the left side. Here , take a right onto a one lane paved road another quarter mile or so up to the top toward the radio transmission towers. There will be a hairpin lefthand turnwhere there is a gated dirt road on the right side of the hairpin. Park here, follow the dirt road past the tower, and it will intersect with a narrower less defined footpath which will take you the rest of the way back. You will come to a gated gravel road, but the footpath will bear right and will parallel that gravel road....Eventually, you will see the river down to your right....and then a stone camping firepit....Note, once you get to the spot, you will have to descend a steep hillside for about 30-40 yards to get to the clearing in the trees for the view...you will be sitting on a slope, and it is almost a sheer drop down a short distance below the vantage point....Better to take a cellphone, a companion, good shoes, and a walking stick....It is not a flat viewing platform...Figure about a mile to mile and half hike from where you park to the overlook....

by joshuahouse

Thanks for the directions, is there camping allowed there or don't you know?
  by dwil89

joshuahouse wrote:Thanks for the directions, is there camping allowed there or don't you know?
It appears that people have camped there in the past...I'd be curious as to who owns the land that the trail and overlook is actually on....I would recommend checking it out first hand before making a decision to camp....The area where a campsite could be made is relatively level under trees, roughly 40 or 50 yards from the photo location.