Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

For those who may have missed it, there was an article about Metra's experimental "bike on trains" program in the "At Play" section of Thursday's Chicago Tribune. The article began with an overview of the program, along with the rules concerning blackout dates, etc. then it described the experiences of three (or four, can't remember for sure) riders that participated in the program. What made the article amusing was that on several occasions, at least two different riders referred to the uniformed train employees stepping off of the trains while stopped at stations as "engineers", instead of conductors! I'm hoping that was just a typo that was missed by the editors; indeed, it would be hard to believe that even someone who isn't a regular rail passenger wouldn't know the difference between the two. Despite the gaffe, I think it's understood that all participants aren't going to have the same overall positive experiences as these people did, since it was such a small sampling. Still, the article did a very good job of presenting the positive benefits of the program, and it'll probably encourage others to use it, and heck, maybe even let the "engineer" help you get your bike on the train, if necessary... :-D

by MetraRy

in most article i see in the trib they always call the engineers conducters. so i guess they reversed this time.

by fjcaron

IF Metra wants to learn something about allowing bikes on their trains, they should look to the Caltrain system running between San Francisco and Gilroy, CA. - 77 miles. The bikes slow down the trains drastically at times, because you waste too much station dwell while they load, only so many are allowed on the trains and then the conductors have to fight off those who intend on boarding with their bike no matter what. It was one of the biggest mistakes the JPB (Governing Agency for Caltrain) ever did, many, many employees just hate having bikes on board.

But if Metra is run anything like the Caltrain outfit, they will just do as they please without any regards for comments from others or suggestions.

by AmtrakFan

fjcaron wrote: But if Metra is run anything like the Caltrain outfit, they will just do as they please without any regards for comments from others or suggestions.
They always seem to do that also.