• Bikes on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by l008com

So I booked a trip to florida from Boston, and they originally told me that the regional train from Boston to NYC that i'll be taking has no checked baggage. So I can check the bike as luggage from NYC to Florida but I have no way to get it TO florida.

So as my trip nears, i was determined to get that bike to Florida. SO I called back and the guy I talked to today said there is a regional train leaving the day before, that DOES have checked baggage. So I can go down to South Station the night before my trip, and check my baggage on that train. He said that I tell them that I want it all the way to florida and they'll automatically forward the package to my Silver service train. I asked if I had to 'GET' the box in NYC and check it on the Silver train and he said no, just check it in boston and it will end up in florida with me. And he said on the way back do the same thing and i'll just have to drive into boston the day after I get back and pick up the bike, all of which is fine by me.

He also said I can insure the baggage for up to $2500 at 50¢ per $100. And that the checked bag fee is only $5 for a bike.

So I'm posting all this because I want to make extra extra sure all this info is correct. The first person I talked to said I was out of luck, so I don't want to get stuck someplace where I have to leave my bike you know. Also, if anyone else has done this, I'd like to hear about that too. :-)
  by EricL

Yeah, checked baggage goes on that overnight train, 66/67, so you need to check it the day before. But yes, you should be O.K. Although I thought the price of the bike box and the fee to check it were two separate costs, so don't be surprised if you talk to someone else and they tell you a higher price. (Although, some stations have used bike boxes sitting in the back room that the agents will give away if you are nice to them.)
I did the same thing when I went out to Wilmington, sent my stuff out a day ahead of me. It ended up going via 48 + 67 even though I was going on 30 + regional.
  by hi55us

When I was going back home last summer I was going from NY-Bos and I didn't want to lug my 2 LARGE suitcases + my garmet bag and by backpack on the regional train, I checked it in NYP and they sent it on #66 and I picked it up the next day. I'm sure that a lot of the checked baggage on #66/#67 is stuff from passengers that are not actually on that train. I wouldn't worry about checking your bike, just make sure you keep your claim check.
  by l008com

I actually got my own box from the local bike shop, i'm going to very carefully package it myself. It's a very expensive bike... thats awesome that this is the real deal. This is going to be a fucking awesome trip!
  by l008com

So I don't have to worry about my package getting OFF #67 and getting ON my train? Will that be done in NYC or will that happen somewhere else along the line?
  by EricL

NYP, probably, or WAS. Anyway, you'll see the routing on the ticket that the baggage guy writes out and puts on your box.
  by BERK44

I was thinking of doing a bike trip this summer in Mystic Conn. Would I be able to bring my bike on a regional train from Stamford?
  by hi55us

BERK44 wrote:I was thinking of doing a bike trip this summer in Mystic Conn. Would I be able to bring my bike on a regional train from Stamford?
I don't think so, unless you get a conductor that dosen't mind handling an unboxed bike on board, neither of those stations have checked baggage.
  by l008com

Is there anything I should do to my box? Besides tape the shit out of it to make sure it's completely solid?
  by David Benton

i took my bike in a bike bag all over the usa by amtrak . but that was 20 years ago . the only time it got damaged was my first trip , l.a to Fullerton . the rear deralluer got mangled . so i would recomend some padding or extra cardboard around all levers , gears etc .
  by george matthews

Could one check a bike from Winter Haven to Old Saybrook?