• Bel-Del Discussion Thread - 2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Mr. Ed

Great idea, but next time spring the extra bucks for the silver tarp. They are made of a tighter woven fabric and are UV resistant and will last a lot longer.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by Donko142

12-8-09 The PolarTrains have been sold out for the years for a few weeks now, work is on going with 142 and the coaches. A third bi-level has arrived on the Bel Del, the hope is to have it in service for the up coming Thomas event in July. The 2 bi-levels currently in service had multiple open windows installed over the summer. Plans for an open car are in the works and the car is now on the railroad at the Baer shop. This is why I'm always praising this group. You can do so much, last week I was doing a little touch up painting ( until rain came ) on the coaches. This weekend I'm engineer,next week working on the Cummings diesel in the 45 ton GE. What do you want (or like)to do ??????
If your reading this you have some type of interest in Railroads. The 2010 operating season will have more to offer than any so far for new volunteers. Train crews are needed, Brakeman, Trainman, Conductor, Fireman, Engineers. We will train anyone willing to learn. Some projects for this year starting in January will be the annual inspection of steam Locomotive 142, Steel and paint work on the coaches, 1 Bi-level needs a go over including installation of open windows and some air brake and interior work. The M-1 will be finding her way to the Bel-Del in 2010, her rebuild project is about 85% done. The first open car need to be built and put into service. The 45 ton GE project is on going to put her in service. Where hoping to see the track project under way by spring and hope to pick up a nice distance of Railroad this year. ROW clearing and cutting will be under way shortly. A small track project will be under way shortly down south.
Remember look at the big picture, just because there's not a second steamer here it doesn't mean things aren't happening year after year. It is an unbelievable amout of work. Each Year there's more special trains running, Wine trains, Polar trains, Easter trains, the Mine was a large investment that was worked out well for the group with riders having there choice of the Mine or the Corn maze. Last year we picked up another 1500ft of track, like most years we pick up something. One volunteer bought a back-hoe to help with ROW work, One bought a classic GE diesel. The boom truck now owned by the group is recieving needed repairs.
Hood number 1 is under repair at the Dorn's shop in P.A. the hood was taken down to bare metal and primed as seen in the pic below. This process will applied to the whole locomotive.
There's always room for new members to help out, 1 day a week or 1 day a year if you can be safe your welcome here.

Everyone have a safe and happy holiday season.

by Donko142

This weekend was like all the rest of the Polar Express Trains, a grand slam with hundreds and hundreds of happy riders. This picture shows about 50 % of the 40 plus crew from Saturday. In our 5th year we really have things fine tuned, I was speaking with a volunteer from another group who was with me as we were loading/unloading passenger, making the air brake test, loading product, checking the train, making sure people stay off NS as there going over head blowing and waving. I looked at him, smiled and said this is nuts. He said " yes but it's a very organized nut " He was currect!!! After 5 years of a group effort everyone is in the grove on Polar Trains. Food, tickets, PARKING, pictures, Santa, and it all comes together and runs like a well oiled mechine from daylight to darkness.
A small group also worked on the 45 ton GE on Saturday am, our make shift garage kept them in a 60-65 degree work area while it was 22 outside "nice"

Everyone have a happy and safe holiday season

by Donko142

Here's a video someone forwarded to me from U-tube of the train pulling in in the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJDoTfexCk

This pic was taking looking Southbound at MP 48.8. One can see the 10 car lighted train, must have made a sight to see for people on RT 78 which can be seen in the background.
  by Notch 8

Boy does that look familiar! I'll be up running Sunday. One of the coolest feelings is running the polar express with snow falling. It was like that two weeks ago, and is supposed to really come down this weekend. The Bel Del is like a small family, we all have fun and work together to make the railroad a success. How do you measure that? Easy. The trains are packed and everyone is happy. Each year a little improvement occurs, and the line expands. I really enjoy my time up there and look forward to meeting new faces.

/
  by Donko142

Very true Notch 8
Even the snow storm last weekend didn't keep many people from coming out for the last weekend of the Polar Express.
2009 Was a great year for the volunteer operation. Most tourist railroads were down in ridership, yet we were up a nice amount. This is not including the grand slam Thomas event. ( Thomas is returning in July of 2010 ) The Polar trains were also up a nice amount due to the 8 extra trips added on 2009. Over all we had a great year due to so many people working together. MOST important is the fact that the safety record was kept at zero incidents in 2009.
I'm hoping to get a new round of people in 2010 ( as 2009 was a great year for new blood ) I'm going to try something new in 2010. I will be listing the projects to be started shortly, if someone has intrest in one specific project reach out to me by e-mail. There will be 4 major projects being started in early 2010. Again we make it as easy as possible, ( Plus as fun as possible ) Safety First.

One can see the storm didn't keep many riders from coming to the Bel-Del, well over 1000 people still rode in the storm.

You can see why 8142 WARM cab was welcomed by the crews on this day.

Wishing everyone and their family a safe and Happy Holiday Season from all of us on the Bel-Del

Thanks Don

by Donko142

12-26-09
Today keith and myself worked on the the GE, all the pistons and been removed to be cleaned and inspected. As I was told it appears there was no time at all on these motors, the pistons, cylinder, rod bearings all looked great. It's a shame that this poor girl had a hard life in the end ( outdoors after the 1980's ). But I'm sure will have her running (on both motors) this summer. Our make shift garage worked GREAT!!! With the heater on the lowest setting we worked in a 80 to 85 degree work area all day.

??????? If anyone knows where there's a cummings HRtype (straight 6 / non turbo ) diesel for sale please reach out to me via e-mail, THANKS
This Cummings type motor was in many loco's, tractors, cranes and so on 1940 to the mid 60's. The pic below shows Keith pulling the piston liner out of # 6

On Monday a group will be working in the butler shop on the M-1, they will be getting her ready for the move to the Bel-Del.

by Donko142

The motors were rebuild by Cummings 20 years ago, but they were only run for a few hours (at the most, plant went with trucks insted of the trains). However when the loco's were stored for over 25 years, water got in motor #1 and damaged the pistons and liners in #6 & #2. Were going to take the engine down to the block and go over the whole thing top to bottom. Do it once and do it right.
Last edited by Donko142 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Hi Don,
That's the way to do it, do it right the first time. Look forward to seeing her pull a string of cars. Nice coat of paint and a fresh build, will be a sharp looking/running loco. I'll help out when/where I can.
  by Donko142

Thanks John

I'm looking forward to your help. I'm hoping for some help from some new people also, ( I don't post this stuff to let you all know what's going on here, I'm advising you what's going on here with the hopes of new volunteers steping up) there are people reading this that know more about GE's then me for sure. 2010 is going to bring us a few new projects that will give alot of poeple an opportunity to help out. Look and my hood off the #1 motor, you (John) where there when this was craned off less then 2 months ago. You saw it first hand and up close, now look at it. Down to the bare metal and primed. A life long friend and owner of 4 body shops is going to lay the color down. I feel confident this engine will have an above average paint job on it.

Keith has been a big help, He took the hood to his shop, removed all the hardware, doors, headlight assembly and the louvers, all down to metal and primed. He's almost done with the louvers. Keith started with the group less then a year ago, a prime example of something for everyone. He had no interest in train service, but loves working on coaches and little cool diesels. When the floors were being redone last year he did a lot of work on all the seat frames so they could be turned again, worked out great.

Like I said something for everyone. With big steps forward coming in 2010

by NYS&W142Fan

2009 was a great year. Thanks to all who helped out and I look forward to meeting new faces in the new year. There is a lot to come.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!