• Bay Colony Millis Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by craven

Does anyone re-call when Dragon Cement closes for their plant maintenance ??
  by craven

Update Sun.,19 Feb. 2017

The Spur is clear of cars.

The snow covered 1701 in her nest looking for work
  by MaineCoonCat

craven wrote:Does anyone re-call when Dragon Cement closes for their plant maintenance ??
Don't know but it appears their web site has "gone dark".. http://www.dragonproducts.com/ Not an encouraging sign..
  by doublebell

Works for me.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
  by MaineCoonCat

doublebell wrote:Works for me.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
Oh, okay, Didn't see the tiny "This Page Is Under Construction - Coming Soon!".. So far the links mimic a url that's been "parked" pending sale or after the registration expired..
About This Page
This "Under Construction" page is an automatically generated placeholder Web page for a domain that is not yet attached to an active Web site. This page replaces the "Not Found" error pages and notifies visitors that a Web site is coming soon.
How Do I Replace This Page?
Publishing your Web site, updating the name servers, or forwarding to another domain name will automatically replace this default page.
If you do not have an existing Web site hosting package or web forwarding, further information to get your Web site online can be found by clicking the following links.
Web site Packages
Hosting Packages
Web Forwarding
If your Web site is not ready to be published and you would like to replace this page, you may do so by configuring your under construction page.
  by MEC407

It's a completely blank page when I try to view it.
  by MEC407

That Dragon is based in the UK. Is that the same Dragon we're discussing here?
  by MaineCoonCat

Hmmmmm.. Just might be on to something.. This page from the parent corporation's web site would lead me to believe there is a connection..

Trying to dig deeper but even the link from Giant Cement Company's website (another U.S. subsidiary) turns up the same dead end.. Image
  by mowingman

The Thomaston plant is still in operation. This plant is part of Giant Cement Holdings, which is owned by the same company that owns Giant, in Great Britain.
  by MaineCoonCat

Actually it's all part of "Grupo Cementos Portland Valderrivas" which is a Spanish based corporation., of which their website was also linked in my previous post..
  by jjoyce1

Good thread. I just figured out that Elementia bought a 55% stake in the Giant Cement Holdings piece of Grupo Cementos Portland Valderrivas. So Thomaston is now an Elementia-flagged plant. See below, this news is only a couple of months old, hence the original website going away:

http://www.concreteproducts.com/news/10 ... MGG1fnyuHs

Also, someone asked when Thomaston goes through its annual winter shutdown. I've never been to that plant but typically shutdowns of the burning lines (kilns) are done Feb-Mar, longer (earlier) than that if the market is soft and there's nowhere to put clinker. Finish mills can go down separately or concurrently to the kilns but typically they require less annual WTA (winter turnaround) work.

JAJ
  by MaineCoonCat

Nice detective work! FWIW Glassdoor lists a couple of job opening.. Concrete Tech in Thomaston and Outside Sales in Boston.. So they must be alive and well..
  by craven

Update Sat., 11 Mar. 2017

The Spur is clear of cars.
  by forthdeck

Doing some research I came across your posts on Medfield Junction

Bay State Colony, abandoned the rail that runs from approximately Kingsbury Club to Needham-Dover line. That means the MBTA now controls this line. Bay Colony still controls the line from Kingsbury westward through Millis (see behind the old GAF factory for example). Some other things to note:
- part of the track running fr MJ is now paved over where it crosses road at grade (see Harding St, Medfield)
- the next town east is Dover & it still is working towards a rail trail; last yr's vote is still an issue
- Thus there will be no MBTA commuter rail through these towns

Millis - where folks keep asking about the Bay Colony:
- there are 2 GAF factories (old and new) - both still for sale; the newer facility should sell or be released at some point
- the old GAF factory is troublesome issue for Millis planning board; they have done at least one study and the most logical is multifamily-condo's but GAF's price has been way too high; it has been mentioned that it would become a location for a big box but that doesn't make sense because there are big boxes west in Bellingham at 495 and strip malls in Medway. There is insufficient foot traffic in this area and Millis citizens will put up very big fight against such a project