• Bar Cars on the West End

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ridgefielder

The threads about the demise (and potential rebirth?) of Metro-North bar car service got me to thinking about something. When, exactly, were the first bar cars added to commuter runs? And did the subscription-only club cars pre-date ordinary bar car service, or were they formed in reaction to the introduction of such service?

Seems to me I've read quite a bit about parlor, dining car & sleeper service on the Shore Line limiteds but not so much about this particular feature of everyday life in Fairfield and Westchester.