• Bad trip for Lake Shore Limited?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JLJ061

Normally Train #49 the Lake Shore Limited is scheduled to stop in South Bend, Indiana at 8:34 am EST. Today I happened to catch it coming through Elkhart shortly before 3 pm, almost 7 hours late!
Before arriving in South Bend, NS Chicago East informed the crew they would be holding at CP 437, where the power would change ends and proceed east back to Toledo (I assume passengers were being transferred beforehand)!

Any possibility of anyone shedding some light on this unusual incident?

by AmtrakFan

Yes I would be happy to: rhere was an NS derailment near South Bend, IN

by AmtrakFan

Here's what happened. Train 29/49 were stopped at South Bend and Elkhart, IN. They considered detouring via the CN or the CSS&SB the problem was Amtrak had to provide pilots. They considered brining 49 to South Bend and load its passengers on 29, then take all of them on 29's equipment into CHI on a detour...preferably the South Shore. 49 would thenturn to 48, either at South Bend or at Toledo, and 30 would
leave on 48's time and handle 48's passengers to wherever a
transfer would be made. They ended up bussing everyone.

by JLJ061

Figures... had I known about the derailment I could have gotten some pics. Any word on the cause?

by Tadman

any word on how they handle superliners under CSS catenary? I've seen Amtrak detoured on CSS every few years, but I know they always depower out east when superliners are due under catenary. In chicago, we run hundred of bilevels under catenary every day.

by shlustig

Normally, the host rasilroad of a detour provides the pilot engineer and conductor for the detouring train.

It is unlikely that the crew of a detouring train would be qualified on the operating rules and the physical characteristics of the host railroad.

The host railroad then bills the detouring railroad for the cost of pilots and any other services or expenses.

by AmtrakFan

Account a BIG NS derailment at C.P 451 near South Bend, Amtrak trains 29
(Capitol Ltd) and #49 (The Lake Shore Ltd) will detour via the CSS&SB
from South Bend to C.P. 487 just west of Burns Harbor, IN. This
will see the trains RUN DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET AT MICHIGAN CITY, IN. This is for today.

by Amtrak31

Street running! You don't see that often around where I live. This may be a little off topic but I don't think it's important enough to warrent it's own thread. The Empire Builder will be detouring down the WC today. I got this info from a friend.

by JLJ061

AmtrakFan wrote:Account a BIG NS derailment at C.P 451 near South Bend, Amtrak trains 29
from South Bend to C.P. 487 just west of Burns Harbor, IN. This
will see the trains RUN DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET AT MICHIGAN CITY, IN. This is for today.
Sorry, but it didn't happen. I happened to see both 29 and 49 on the NS going through LaPorte today (though they had to crawl at a snail's pace past the wreck site).

by AmtrakFan

JLJ061 wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:Amtrak trains 29
from South Bend to C.P. 487 just west of Burns Harbor, .
Sorry, but it didn't happen. .
It was my understanding this was to occur. Sorry Folks.