• Bachmann NKP 2-8-4

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Rick Abramson

Has anyone seen the Bachmann HO NKP Berk? Was curious if its a nice model. I chased 759 in 1969, thought it would be nice to have a model of her.
  by Montrealrail

I try also to get one like this,but I get only this model avaiable at my hobbyshop..
By the way,I buyed it,but it's a 4-8-4 instead of en 2-8-4,I realised the thing after few days,when I tooked off from the box..

It's also a Bachman,but pretty hard to find the right 2-8-4

here's a pic of the one I get..

I'm trying to see if I can get a model from another company..
  by workextra

The reviews over at the Bachmann forum are both good and bad. I don't have one but I did see one running and I thought it was a good running engine.
With Bachmann it's hit or miss. You can score a very good preforming engine or an engine that needs to be serviced under warranty.
  by graftonterminalrr

Montrealrail, that's the old Bachmann 4-8-4 from their standard line. It's based off of an ATSF 4-8-4.

Their CN version lacks the Santa Fe prototype smokestack extender, and Bachmann used their UP-prototype Vandy tender, which ironically is actually very, very close to a CN tender.

The new 2-8-4 owes nothing to the old 4-8-4. It's completely different.
  by Montrealrail

Yest,I get this one by mystake,thinking to have a 2-8-4,cause the tender was pretty close from CN's one.
But while taking out of the box,I notice my mistake cause it was a 4-8-4..(know,when we do a very prompt purchase without checking correctly the item)

the real CN one may look like this

But I found the place to get one.if I get a good extra money I will make one like the 759
with this model..
https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-50902
  by Montrealrail

Thank's for that tip.I rather take the unlettered one,will be easy to ad CN's gantry on it..
and it's half of the price,than Walthers direct..
the model sems to be closer than the first one..
  by workextra

Avoid Walther unless you really need something and cannot find it else where. For reasons unknown to me they are a strictly MSRP retailer and will only come down to a sometimes reasonable price after they sit on something for a long time and it goes on sale.
This is just my observations.