• B&M road trip question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by B&Mguy

I'm taking a drive in a few days, and was wondering if I could get some input as to what the most scenic route would be as far as railroad sights. I'm looking to photograph old B&M stations and artifacts. The first day I'm going to drive from Plymouth to Littleton via routes 25 and 302. I want to photograph the remains of the Plymouth-Woodsville line and then take photos of the former NH&V to Littleton. The second day is where my question comes in. I debating between driving northeast to Groveton and Berlin, then driving home through Crawford Notch, or driving over to the Connecticut River and taking US 5 south to WRJ.

Are trains still frequent on the river line? I know there are several former B&M stations along that route, and it seems like it would be a very scenic drive with the river and all. Northern NH and the notch has a lot of history, but probably fewer actual train sighting chances.

Thanks for any advice!
  by TomNelligan

B&Mguy wrote: Are trains still frequent on the river line?
Definitely not! North of White River Junction, you have the Vermont Rail System's Washington County RR freight plus seasonal weekend excursion service out of WRJ. South of WRJ you have Amtrak's daily Vermonter, a daily New England Central freight, and occasional appearances by Guilford. The Connecticut River Line is a ghost of what it was up through the early 1980s.
  by SLR 393

If you are in Plymouth, its only 20 miles to Lincoln. The old B&M yard has 4 ex B&M budd cars in it and is still largely there. Across the street and wye is the Hobo RR.

Between Plymouth and Woodsville, not much remains. Heading out of Plymouth, a lot of 25 is on the old ROW. You will see old semaphore bases just south of the split where the Lincoln line and Woodsville line split.