• B&M F-7 4265a , the REAL rundown

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by B&M 733

OK Fellas, here's the (abriged) full story of B&M 4265a in retirement:
Her prime mover and traction motors were removed DURING or about 1976. She had been dormant at the B&M's Billerica shops since 1973, and continued to sit there until 1980 or 1981.
In 1980/81, she was donated to the CNY Chapter of NRHS and went to Syracuse NY. She was subsequently given a quick repaint (minus serious bodywork) into the B&M maroon color scheme.
THE NOSE DOOR WAS NOT REPAINTED MAROON, IT REMAINED BLUE,(as it is today). The NRHS people fitted a "phony" plywood nose door which WAS painted maroon, and displayed the B&M minuteman decal and held the number board. The "FULL MAROON LOOK" was only visible while the loco was on display and under supervision. At other times, the "fake" nose door was stowed away for safe keeping.
In the late 1980s, the B&M 4265 was traded to the GREEN MOUNTAIN RR for an ex PRR E-8 (PC-MBTA 4261) which eventually became "DL&W 807".
B&M 4265 sat derelict at North Walpole NH on the GMRC for several years before finding a home in Gorham NH.
On April 2, 1972, a meeting was held in the B&M's general offices, consisting of myself (then 17) and then president John W. Barriger, to discuss the "future" of the 4265.
The results of the meeting were dark, and he indicated to me that my ideas for 4265s (A) Presrvation or (B) repainting into maroon colors were very much inconsitant with his philosophies on "SUPER RAILROADS" and would occur basicly "over his dead body".
So there it was, 4265 was NOT to get repainted into maroon paint, and it was NOT to be "preserved', at least according to the April 2 meeting.
The rest is pretty much history.
Fret not that the unit is presently a rustbucket. It's a miracale she still exists. the glass is not 50% empty, but 50% full.
btw, if the number glasses are still in the indicator boxes, they're my handiwork. I handicrafted them for the Syracuse boys in 1982.
There's more to the story too, but that's plenty for now.

by Richard Glueck

Your efforts have not been in vain, considering the locos exist at all. I would hope some effort could be made to get them consolidated and returned to some kind of operative status. B&M deserves a decent representation in New England.
  by ProRail

A little confused...where is this engine to be found now?

by greenus90

It's in Gorham NH.

by The Man

BTW... I am not sure but I will ask the man who was and is still running the CNY Chapter.... But I think the B&M sold the 4265 to them. Also the unit was traded with an RDC car in 1995. The 807 was the T 4261 and GMRC was using it as a steam genny. That and the #2 engine was all that worked on that unit. The other thing is that chapter would ONLY trade it to GMRC with the understanding that it would NOT be scrapped. This worked out as she is still alive.

JJ