• B&LE operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by NS3737

What are the best options as I want to go out and photograph the operations of the Bessemer and Lake Erie? How many trains do they run and is there any indication on times? I have located their yards and lines on the map but have no clue as to accessability from public ground and operations. For some background of my plans: I will head south from the New York State’s Southern Tier area to Butler PA while in search of the B&P and I am looking for options to head back into the direction of Lake Erie. The Bessemmer and Lake Erie then seems a logical choise. So the fouces will be on the Buter – Erie section of it.

Thanks in advance

GvA

by RDGAndrew

NS3737,

I was out that way in June with some friends - we stayed in Greenville and made a long weekend out of chasing the BLE. We had no real conversations with anyone from the railroad, but with a couple back issues of Railpace, a scanner, and some good guesswork, we were able to figure out the patterns enough to get some nice photos. Greenville itself is probably the best place to be because of the Old LIne and the High Line in close proximity to each other as well as the operational. They only run two shifts - the evening one takes trains south from Greenville in darkness, so I would not expect to see much of anything on the south end in daylight. The last job of the shift is to bring loaded coal hoppers north past G'ville and leave them in a passing siding near "KO" interlocking (since renamed Sandy Jct by CN), the north end of the High Line. The power then returns light via the Old Line into Greenville itself, crossing the main street and going through a canyon of funky old buildings before entering the yard.

The second shift is called sometime in the AM, and on the weekend we were there, headed north from the yard around 9am. It runs light to KO, picks up the cut left there by the first, and makes its way north to the docks at Conneaut, OH. After working at the dock, it then returns south. We were told that the turnaround time at the docks was short - 45m to an hour, but both days we were in Conneaut we got shots of them arriving and had plenty of time to make our way south to another location. Once they came through southbound, though, chasing was a challenge due to dirt roads and the sheer speed of the trains. The southbounds then left their train at "KY" interlocking south of Greenville (the south end of the High Line) and were taxied back to the yard - the night crew was supposed to be called at 22:00 to take it the rest of the way south.

There are some good photo spots from quiet public roads, especially around KO and KY, and if you can get a shot of an evening southbound headed over the Amasa viaduct at Osgood, it's worth it. The whole property is immaculately maintained and the shop complex is something from another era. Get your pictures soon, though, because I think CN will be making changes soon, if they haven't already.

Kind of a lengthy post, but we had a great time and hopefully supported the local economy a little while we were there. If I ever manage to get some photos scanned and put on webshots or some other such medium, I'll post the links in this forum.

by Aa3rt

NS3737, if you decide to go to Greenville (a good suggestion from RDGAndrew) you may want to check out Greenville's Railroad Park. Among the displays there is the only remaining 0-10-2 steam engine (of only 9 built) from the Union Railroad, another US Steel controlled railroad (at one time) that connected to the B&LE in North Bessemer. You can check out the link at:

http://members.tripod.com/~greenville/rrpark.html

(WARNING-this is one of those sites with lots of annoying pop-ups.)

As I mentioned in the Pennsylvania forum, Albion is a good place to view the line from a number of public streets adjacent to the yard there.
  by NS3737

Thanks all for the input, it is useful information to schedule a chase for the BLE.

by Otto Vondrak

I would say start out at Butler Yard, but I'm not sure there are any people left in the tower you could ask for information anymore...

-otto-