• Article relating to RVL

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Mark Schweber

Penn Station shuffle wears out commuters
Friday, August 06, 2004
BY JOE MALINCONICO
Star-Ledger Staff
Commuters on the Raritan Valley Line don't need an exercise regimen.

They already get a frantic workout every morning when they make the switch to New York-bound trains at Newark Penn Station.

Down the stairs they rush after the Raritan line drops them at platform 5 in Newark. They then dash through the crowded concourse. Finally, they hustle back up another flight of stairs to another platform to catch the connecting train to Manhattan.

Of course, there are obstacles. Escalators under repair create logjams. Outdated information on station video monitors sends riders to the wrong platforms. Dawdling rail novices get in the way.

Sometimes, rush-hour Raritan Valley commuters make it to the platform in time. Sometimes, they see the red light on the back of a train that has already left the station.

"It's ridiculous what people have to do to get to their trains," said commuter Matthew Collins of Fanwood.

More than three years ago, NJ Transit officials dangled some hope for commuters on the Raritan Valley line -- which runs from Newark through Union, Somerset and Hunterdon counties -- by promising changes that would make the transfer a simple stroll across one platform.

But that project stalled, officials said, because railroad construction crews were busy with other jobs on the tracks between Newark and New York that were considered higher priorities, including new rail signals and the Secaucus Junction transfer station.
Link to full article:
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/
base/news-6/109178280768160.xml

by JLo

3 years and $27 million for 1800 feet of track. I don't care how "complicated" NJT claims this is, that is a load of manure.

by CNJ

Yet another example that the "Aldene Plan" (sic) does not work.

by Lackawanna484

JLo wrote:3 years and $27 million for 1800 feet of track. I don't care how "complicated" NJT claims this is, that is a load of manure.
-----

NJT spent three times as much for the 1,000 foot Bay avenue connection in Montclair. Took about ten years of construction, right?

What I don't understand is why they don't construct a down ramp from the east end of the bridge over the NEC to the eastmost track eastbound into Newark Penn? That would put RVL trains in line for A track or 1 track.

by arrow

I don't know...almost every one of my morning rush hour RVL trains pulls into track 1 (or rarely on A). There is one train that I take that pulls in on Track 3, but that really isn't a problem since you can just walk up the ramp to Track H and down the stairs to Track 1 if you're going to NYP.

And everyone thinks I complain too much..sheesh.

by nick11a

arrow wrote:I don't know...almost every one of my morning rush hour RVL trains pulls into track 1 (or rarely on A). There is one train that I take that pulls in on Track 3, but that really isn't a problem since you can just walk up the ramp to Track H and down the stairs to Track 1 if you're going to NYP.

I've also seen Track 2 as well. But this is rare too.

by Irish Chieftain

NJT spent three times as much for the 1,000 foot connection in Montclair
They've got a bit of an excuse there: acquisition of ROW, two tracks, electrification, signals, reconstruction of Bay Street station.

Can't help thinking though, if we were sans-Aldene nowadays, that it'd be smoother operations, even with the yards in Elizabethport running at full steam as today...

by Tom V

Can't help thinking though, if we were sans-Aldene nowadays, that it'd be smoother operations
The problem is that the Port Of Newark/Elizabeth's operations have grown tremendoulsy recently, it's now the third buisest Port in the US and the busiest on the East Coast.

The size of the Maersk ships coming through the channel dwarf ships of 10-20 years ago, also just watch the number of ships coming and going. On a recent trip across the Bayonne bridge I saw three large container ships on each others tails heading towards Port Newark/Elizabeth.

All of these factors would mean a big problem if the bridge from Elizabeth-Bayonne were still in operation, the bridge would be opening constantly delaying trains since the ships have the right of way.

The economic importance of the Port and the conflict the bridge's operation would cause to both Shipping traffic and commuters today are greater hinderances than having to transfer at Newark Penn Station, they are better off transfering at Newark than sitting waiting for a bridge to close after a Maersk ship passes.

The other day my 7:20 Am Metropark-NY Penn train was delayed because of the Portal span being opened, there is tremendous traffic moving into and out of Port Newark/Elizabeth which would just cause problems for both shipping companies and commuters if trains still ran over the former span.

Untill a new Hudson tunnel is built there are two things that can be done to improve Raritan Valley line service, first obviously is the pocket track. Second is expanding service to Hoboken by improving the Waterfront connection to bring Weekday Raritan Valley line service to Hoboken.

With the major ferry terminal overhaul and expansion of ferry service currently being undertaken aswell as access to the PATH and it's new "hub" in Lower Manhattan connected to all those Subway lines bringing Raritan Valley line trains and more NJCL trains to Hoboken is a good start towards improving service.

The only way I see a connection being restored between Elizabeth and Bayonne is not by a bridge but by a tunnel, and not a Light Rail tunnel as Jeffrey Walsh once proposed but rather a freight tunnel to provide access to the proposed cross harbor freight tunnel from Greenville Yards to Brooklyn.

by Tom V

One other fix they can make to help RVL riders and other riders at Newark Penn Station is to get rid of those old information display system screens, they should replace all the information screens and boards on the platforms and at the entrances to the Platforms from the main concourse with the display screens used at Secaucus and NY Penn.

Much simpler, easier to understand, and more modern/asthetically pleasing.

by Irish Chieftain

The problem is that the Port Of Newark/Elizabeth's operations have grown tremendoulsy recently, it's now the third buisest Port in the US and the busiest on the East Coast
That port could have easily remained in New York Harbor instead of having spent the countless megabucks to put it in Newark Bay. Now, what used to be the seaport is an array of condominia, and at what cost.
The only way I see a connection being restored between Elizabeth and Bayonne is not by a bridge but by a tunnel, and not a Light Rail tunnel as Jeffrey Walsh once proposed but rather a freight tunnel to provide access to the proposed cross harbor freight tunnel from Greenville Yards to Brooklyn
Decent idea there. The PA is several decades late on delivering, however.

by Lackawanna484

NJT could run commuter trains from Plainfield / Westfield etc to Jersey City tomorrow morning if they needed to.

East on the RVL, straight at Hunter, through Oak Island and over the bridge to Greenville and up the National Docks to Liberty Park / Science Center. Tracks's all there, all you need is a pilot and a platform.

Walk to NY Waterway ferry to lower Manhattan, or change to HBLRT for HOB, etc. If they wanted to move / add a NY Waterway dock at the west end of the Basin, the walk would be a few hundred feet.
  by Gruntled

Service to JC tomorrow huh?

And just tell the freight trains to get out of the way, right?
And go 5 MPH from Aldene to Route 1/9, then 10 or 15 to Port?

The laws of physics are against you!
  by Gruntled

Oops, wrong route.

OK forget what I said about Aldene-Port. Just replace that with "once you leave the Nat'l Docks main track".

I love when the high and mighty can be taken down a peg, even if it has to be me...
  by Electrify the RVL!

Arrow:

What RVL trains are you taking that I'm missing? The 5412 (7:31 Newark arrival) is usually on track 5. The 5416 (7:54) is usually on track 3. The 5900 (8:14) is usually on track A or 2. The 5704 (8:39), track 5 again. And, of course, for many of these there is the occasional pull into track A or 2.

I can't vouch for the semi-expresses that skip Roselle Park (my station), but from what I've seen of these trains, they generally go in on track 5.

Are you riding the "Double Secret Probation" train? If so, I want in! :D
arrow wrote:I don't know...almost every one of my morning rush hour RVL trains pulls into track 1 (or rarely on A). There is one train that I take that pulls in on Track 3, but that really isn't a problem since you can just walk up the ramp to Track H and down the stairs to Track 1 if you're going to NYP.

by rvlmike

WOW would I love it if the RVL ran all the way to Hoboken on weekdays.